B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

DIY Removing radio with broken DIN mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Actual WIZARD
Default DIY Removing radio with broken DIN mounts

FIRST AND FOREMOST:
This was an awful idea, and should be used as a last resort. You WILL be breaking your radio faceplate off forcibly, and I did crack part of mine on the top, but once reassembled you won’t see it. YMMV. It worked for me, you might ruin your radio. I did not remove power to the car, in fact I had the radio on during the whole thing.

Well after 3 months with no ice link, I got mad. It came down to getting the radio out, or destroying it in rage and installing an aftermarket HU. I set out at first to remove the dash surround, no luck, because there are screws behind the radio you can’t get.

Tools:
1 phillips screwdriver, preferably the longest one you have (mine was about a foot long)

Dull butter knife (not steak knife)
That’s it.
It was really simple looking back at it.

1. Remove your trim piece above the radio. Mine was broken at every clip, so it was easy

2. Insert screwdriver on LEFT side of radio (drivers side) and push down as far as you can.

3. Gently pull screwdriver towards you till things start breaking. First the top clip you see will pop out. Then most likely the first screw hole on the side you can’t see will snap then your middle clip will break (not pop, but crack) You may/may not lose your display, and most if not all button functionality. DON’T PANIC. The goal is to remove it a corner at a time, so stop pulling once you get the top corner free.

4. Grab a drink. Talk to your helper if you’ve got one

5. Repeat for top corner on passenger side
6. Then go ahead and get the drivers lower corner with the knife. It will help to be about an inch from the bottom though because you’re trying to break the screw hole.
7. Repeat step 6 for passenger lower.

At this point, your faceplate should be off. Good job. Now you can see what screw holes you broke, and see the connectors for the faceplate on the bottom of the faceplate as well as where they go on the unit

You will also see the din tabs of hell.

Most likely the little tabs that center the tab were bent to hell and had jammed the din slots up.

Now you can see the parts you broke

As well as the screws that were keeping it in place.

Whatever you use to get the tabs to stay out, get now and pull the headunit. I had pullers, so I made them work. I removed all of the din tabs, because the radio sit pretty snugly on its own.

If you have 500hp, the radio might come out, but so far, mines stayed in. At this point, reattach your faceplate using the screws stuck in the frame and power the radio up. If it works good, if not, well I warned you..
Do what you want with the radio. I installed my icelink where I previously had a broken cup holder, and its awesome.

Last edited by Msnickbroderick; 09-11-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Actual WIZARD

If anyone needs clarification, let me know, and ill edit it in. Also, Is this the right place for this? Is there a DIY section?

Old 09-11-2010, 05:02 PM
1st Gear

Doggy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

once you take the faceplate off, how do you get the din off??

Old 02-05-2015, 03:16 PM
1st Gear

dredging up an old post.

i'm considering doing this. radio works fine, but went to put in a more modern hu, and discovered that my Symphony was stuck in place.

it looks like after doing this you were able to piece the radio back together?

best case, the only thing that will hopefully be broken is the bezel where the screws are held into place?

and as TJ6400 asked, once the faceplate is off, does it give you full access to push the tabs back?

thanks