B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Electronic boost controller

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 06:21 PM
1st Gear
Default Electronic boost controller

Hi,

So I have chipped my car, and plan to do some mods in the future (fmic, exhaust, bigger but not big turbo [like K04,gt2x, gtrs elim])

I was gonna buy a boost guage, and then started thinking, if I need a boost guage and a mbc at some point, maybe there is an option that has both in an ebc?

Are there any ebc's that work well with an A4 that have boost pressure gauge? If it's like 700$ forget it, I'd just get both mbc and boost guage

Thanks

Old 05-03-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Electronic boost controller

You can get a GReddy profec B spec II for under $400 and it has a psi gauge, high low switch, and psi warning. The type S is a simple ebc, but doesnt have the gauge.

The Apexi avc-r is a great ebc also, but it cost more but has even more nice features.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:32 PM
1st Gear

GReddy profec B spec II, just doing some quick shopping around for this, so far I've seen as low as $330 here: http://www.rx7store.net/product_p/profecspec2.htm which sounds pretty good to me

anyone able to find this cheaper anywhere(besides ebay)?

Old 05-03-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm make believe

I was just at the RX7store THursday, a few nice cars there. They had T4 manifolds just scattered about like they were free.

Not sure whats the issue with ebay, if you find a good vendor, they are $300shipped on there

Old 05-03-2008, 10:55 PM
1st Gear

Since I don't live in the US, I get stuff shipped to an address near Canada (like Seattle) and pick stuff up. Since my credit card and shipping address won't match, sometimes it's tricky getting stuff shipped, blah blah. But that can be a problem with places other then ebay as well sux

Otherwise, for something like this, ebay is fine. Stores just "usually" have less trouble shipping where I can get to it

Old 05-03-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm make believe

I got you, that makes sense.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:43 AM
2nd Gear

The GReddy pofec B is a good all around unit without all the bells and whistles. It does what you need it to do. There are plenty of other units out there that are just as good if not better but why pay for featrures that you will probably never use.

I have the GReddy profec B installed in my in dash cup holder area and it works and looks great.

Name:  CFinterior011.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  74.5 KB

Here is another picture

Old 05-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Administrator

+1 on the AVC-R - it's a really nice system and as cincy said, the extra features are very cool too. I used the PRofec-B in my 300ZX (it was the older style, not the Spec II) and it was a great controller - very easy to use and set up, no fuzzy logic learning curve for the controller, and the price is more than fair for its capabilities.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Administrator

That's a slick install - I like it Looks like it was meant to be there. In the Z, the car's clock was on the lower left corner of the center console, in front of and slightly above the shifter. I removed it and installed the controller there (it only required about a millimeter of trimming to fit). Couldn't find the old pics of mine, but here's one from the web:

In this one, you can see the clock and the EBC above it, and they're basically the same size. I put mine right where the clock was. I had an AFC and a trim panel where this guy has the PRofec.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:13 PM
5th Gear

avc-r is gona be the best but the profec b is a nice cheaper alternative. i would just get the boost gauge and mbc for now, boost gauge is like 40 bucks, i would custom mount it in the a/c vent. you can get a turboxs for 110 new, i found one for 65 on AZ, you can sell it for almost as much as you bought it for (or in my case, a little bit more), and get an avc-r when you have enough money saved up. thats what im doing

Quick Reply: Electronic boost controller