B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Erratic Fuel Gauge FIX

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:23 AM
1st Gear
Post Erratic Fuel Gauge FIX

1996-2002 VW/AUDI ERRATIC FUEL GAUGE, Symptoms on many VW/Audi models between 1996-2002 the fuel gauge can be a real pain because if fluctuating or give bad reading and the new part is $170 but there is a easy fix.
Tools , 1 PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER ,2 SMALL HOSE CLAMPS,ONE HAMMER,ONE FLAT SCREWDRIVER,FLASHLIGHT CONTACT FLUID AND A PIECE OF PRINTER PAPER and in some cases soldering tools.
First locate the access point to the tank fuel pump access (usually in in the trunk under carpet right side) take out those 3 screws that hold the cap in place , make sure u have a vacuum around because the fuel pump cap is going to be very dusty , u will see one electric plug and 2 hoses , u need to disconnect all 3 of then(some gas is going to come out but if u have a rag around use that) after you took care of that get the flat screwdriver and the hammer and start unscrew the black plastic ring ,after u unscrew the the ring just lift the white top off u will see the following 2 electrical connection one white and one black u need to disconnect the black one and also u will see a plastic tube attached to the white cap with a black clamp , to disconnect that u need to press on the opposite sides with your fingers not with tools and pull the hose out , the u move the withe cap aside u don`t need to disconnect anything else ,
Now if u look in the tank u will see the Fuel sending unit upper end so put your hand inside the tank along the sending unit and u feel on a side like a bump on the sending unit body , press on that and pull the sending unit out ,
Now u have the sending unit out, u will notice the contact area DO NOT USE SANDPAPER, Use contact cleaner and let`it sit for a few min in the mean time look a the wire that i connecting the reading head to the reader base if the wire is corded u might wanna change`it that is where the soldering tools come in handy , as a wire i used one from an old speaker because is very flexible , not u will notice that the level arm (the one with the ball) is connected to the reader in a plastic base , with caution pry`it out , now u have the contact area exposed , take a piece of paper , i used regular printer paper, spray`it wit contact fluid and then run the contact area , u will notice that the paper becomes black that is the corrosion , keep doing that until the area becomes clean ,then look at that contact from the level stick , that think is gold plated so DO NOT USE SANDPAPER still use paper and rub that thing several time,
after that check the black plug for corrosion it will have some so pull the contacts out of that plastic support and on this one u can use sandpaper to remove the corrosion ,after you are done releasable everything and proceed to reinstall the Fuel Level Sending Unit back in the tank , THE BLACK PLUG CAN BE INSERTED IN ANY POSITION .
Make sure u tighten the black ring very good but don`t overtightened the thing is plastic after all.
YOU ARE DONE AND SAVED AROUND $250-350 in parts and labor at a shop
and you can feel better about yourself
Estimated average completion time 1.5 H

Old 02-14-2011, 12:36 AM
2nd Gear

Isn't there already a posted DIY for this somewhere?

Old 02-14-2011, 12:43 AM
1st Gear

I saw that some time ago but it`s not as descriptive , i just did the fix today and i`m happy to say my gas gauge is working flawlessly