DIY - Do It Yourself Within you will find how-to's on many aspects of modding and caring for your ride as told by your fellow members.

Fixing An Erratic Fuel Gauge by Jestnomen

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 01:22 AM
6th Gear
Default Fixing An Erratic Fuel Gauge by Jestnomen

This may not be totally accurate, so if you follow my directions you are doing so at your own risk!

Well tonight I undertook the chore of cracking open my fuel tank to fix my erratic fuel gauge problem that I have been having. If your guage shows half a tank when it's full or empty when its not, then this is your fix.

Disconnect the battery. Remove the carpet from behind the passenger rear seat in the trunk. Remove the 3 screws holding the cover plate on.

Remove the two gas line clamps and remove the hoses. Make sure you wad a few towels around, because a half cup of gas or so will come spewing out! Pull off the electical plug, it comes straight up. Remove the black plastic ring that holds down the gas tank panel. I used a screw driver and a rubber mallet to break it free.

Remove the two electrical connectors and the black gas line. Leave the other gas line connected, it won't bother you.

Once that is off, you'll see the fuel sender unit and the bobber. Looks like something in your toilet. There is a little button on the base of it, Press that and the sender slides out. Reinstall your new sender unit and reverse the process!

My install did not goes that smooth though. Apparently there are two versions of the sender unit.

8D0919673b for quattro cars
8D0919673c for non-quattro cars.

I ordered the b version which turned out to be totally wrong for my tank. All I really needed was the wires and plug off of it, because mine were corroded and the plug was smashed. I desoldered the wires off the new one and resoldered it onto my old sender unit. Works perfect!

The End - Sorry it's so long, but maybe this will help someone.