B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Fmic for stock ko3? (Eventually frankenturbo)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:40 AM
2nd Gear

Anybody know how restrictive one like this is?-
Magnaflow 54305 Magnaflow Performance High-Flow Catalytic Converters
Because for $95 I would rather do that and just have my local shop weld pipes to both sides to make it fit

Old 04-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Administrator

You used to be able to buy a 3" test pipe with OEM catalyst heat shields welded to it. Looked exactly like a cat but with nothing inside. I forget the name of the company now.

I would go that route personally. Way easier than trying to fit exhaust pipe inside the OEM cat. Don't know anything about Magnaflow cats but I do know that the word "universal" is usually a bad sign.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:05 AM
2nd Gear

But even with heatshield a welded to it, if somebody tapped on the cat (like they do in va for inspection) it would sound empty... Also as far as the universal aspect, I think it is referring to the shape, you have to modify it to fit your car as it is just straight

Last edited by Pbcrazy; 04-24-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pbcrazy
But even with heatshield a welded to it, if somebody tapped on the cat (like they do in va for inspection) it would sound empty...
This is why I run a test pipe 99% of the time and then swap my cat back in to pass inspection.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:18 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
This is why I run a test pipe 99% of the time and then swap my cat back in to pass inspection.
....why the hell didnt I think of that.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Administrator

....why the hell didnt I think of that.
Most people don't want to do the extra wrenching, or will try to sell/recycle the catalyst to offset the cost of the testpipe. More worth it to keep both IMO. Once you get the hang of it, you can swap the cat in or out in about an hour. I have SAI and the secondary O2 readiness coded out in my tune, so I don't need to worry about codes, just passing visual.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:33 AM
2nd Gear

Most people don't want to do the extra wrenching, or will try to sell/recycle the catalyst to offset the cost of the testpipe. More worth it to keep both IMO. Once you get the hang of it, you can swap the cat in or out in about an hour. I have SAI and the secondary O2 readiness coded out in my tune, so I don't need to worry about codes, just passing visual.
How much would a test pipe benefit me as oppose to a vehicle specific hfc like-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111048931028?redirect=mobileIf possible I would like to stay away from test pipe but if the hp increase is substatial I would definitely look into it

Old 04-24-2013, 11:05 AM

You used to be able to buy a 3" test pipe with OEM catalyst heat shields welded to it. Looked exactly like a cat but with nothing inside. I forget the name of the company now.

I would go that route personally. Way easier than trying to fit exhaust pipe inside the OEM cat. Don't know anything about Magnaflow cats but I do know that the word "universal" is usually a bad sign.
You're probably thinking of the VMR test pipe. They stopped making them a year or two ago. And the heat shield was a similar shape to the stock cat, but had no markings on it (like a stock cat does).

How much would a test pipe benefit me as oppose to a vehicle specific hfc like-
OBX Ceramic High Flow Cat 98 02 Audi A4 Base 4CYL 1 8L Passat GLS | eBay
If possible I would like to stay away from test pipe but if the hp increase is substatial I would definitely look into it
Please don't put OBX on your car! At least a few years ago, I would hear how their exhaust components liked to crack. And the pipe size is small on that anyways (restriction).

Heh, for my last smog test, I had to swap out everything to pass! Turbo, exhaust manifold, FMIC, catch can, HFC, fuel pressure gauge/AFPR, removed wideband stuff from car, etc.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:52 AM
2nd Gear

Alright I'll probably just do a test pipe. Metal man, having a frankenturbo and misc. stuff like that makes you fail it? We don't have emissions here in va (or atleast the korean guys i go to dont do it) but they do check to make sure you have a cat

Old 04-24-2013, 01:16 PM
2nd Gear

By the way, I installed a ecs ra4 clutch because I thought mine was slipping. After 800 miles (should have broken in by now) it still had rapid slipping when I really get on it. I was told this could be caused by a clogged or just restrictive cat, is this true or is there something wrong with my clutch?

Quick Reply: Fmic for stock ko3? (Eventually frankenturbo)