B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

G89 Sensor, Where are you??

Old 09-06-2013, 05:44 PM
2nd Gear
Default G89 Sensor, Where are you??

So I got a code for a bad "Fresh air duct Sensor (g89)", I got a new one but I can't find the freakin thing!! I've looked it up a bunch and it seems alot of people have the same problem, i found a pdf online and it shows it's to the left of the orange plug on the blower but there's nothing there (http://www.dj-sures.com/GraphicFiles...ompartment.pdf , last page)

Old 09-07-2013, 10:03 AM
2nd Gear

Here's Bentley's answer, but you're not gunna like it. Note the, "remove heater box for access". In other words, rip the dash apart....all the way to the firewall.

I believe I've heard of guys say you can snake your hand up between the HVAC box and the A pillar and get to it that way.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:05 PM
2nd Gear

Yay!! Tiny little sensor = like 2 hours of work. I can't really see what's going on in the second picture, but ill see if I can feel around in there for it before I go ripping my dash apart

Old 09-07-2013, 12:28 PM
2nd Gear

I just read somewhere that a guy had success going into vag-com and switch the g89 into basic settings like you would for doing a TBA, and it made the sensor start working again. Anybody know how to get vag-com to switch the sensor into basic? (I have a registered vcds)

Old 09-08-2013, 07:31 PM
1st Gear

I believe that is the sensor I replaced on mine a while back. I can't find the page I had that told how to do it. Basically, you need to remove the plastic piece that would be above the passenger's feet under the dash. I don't remember if there is anything else you need to remove under the dash to get to it. But you end up laying on your back in the passenger footwell with your head as far towards the front of the car as possible and you will be able to see the sensor between the firewall and the fresh air duct. There's enough room to reach up there. You just twist it, pull it out, unplug it, plug the new one in, and put it back in the hole. The sensor is right under the pollen filter. This was all I was able to find as far as a picture. quattroworld.com Forums: look at my pics and feel your way back there...

Old 09-08-2013, 07:44 PM
2nd Gear

Yea that's what i thoght. If you have trouble twisting it with your hand crammed up there, I wonder if you could at least twist it by reaching down from the filter area.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:57 PM
2nd Gear

Gotcha, ill try to feel around back there. Thank god I don't have to remove anything major. Thanks guys!!