B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Is this a good plan for axle removal [vid]?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:08 AM
1st Gear
Default Is this a good plan for axle removal [vid]?

My right front outer cv boot is completely torn off the clip on the axle. Will the method I found here work on b5 quattro? The suspension on his vw looks a bit different. FWD i guessing.

Basically his process is:
1. unbolt axle from transmission
2. unbolt axle nut
3. unbolt lower suspension behind wheel hub
4. swing out wheel hub and axle will drop

reverse to install new axle. This seems awesomely easy and I'm hoping I don't have to unbolt the infamous pinchbolt to change out my axle.

Thanks guys!
VW DIY How to install / replace / fix a CV joint : Drive shaft on MKIV Golf www.FixMyVW.com - YouTube

Old 05-14-2012, 01:12 PM
1st Gear
Default No pinch bolt..

I just did my drivers side on my 96 5 speed and didn't undo any suspension parts at all.. If you turn your wheels about 3/4 to the opposite side of the car of the axle you are trying to remove, it will come right out. I had a dust shield around the inner joint that I had to pop off (just 3 allen head bolts) and once the axle bolt and inner cv bolts are removed it will come right out with a little finagle'ing. I had luck lifting up on the inner joint, aiming it up into the engine bay and sliding the outer out of the hub. My 96 is stock height with no suspension mods so it may be different but in my case, it was very straightforward.

Found the diy link: DIY: front CV axle replacement

Hope this helps...

Old 05-14-2012, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

The way I do it is...

Loosen axle bolt
Jack up car
Have friend step on brakes
Loosen and remove the 6 axle to trans bolts (about 2ft of extensions)
Use the axle bolt to push the axle out of the hub
Remove pinch bolt (only if you've removed it before or know it isn't seized)
Remove axle
Install new axle.

Last time I did the whole job in 35 minutes on the passenger side. It's a really good idea to have a friend there with you to hit the brakes.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:09 AM
1st Gear

can anyone tell me the tool to unbolt the axle from the trans? i had the tool at one point but i cant find it. i think its a t40..... i know its splined. the bolt heads arent hex either....

Old 12-06-2013, 08:25 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Mhuntington
can anyone tell me the tool to unbolt the axle from the trans? i had the tool at one point but i cant find it. i think its a t40..... i know its splined. the bolt heads arent hex either....
It's a triple square wrench. 8mm 12 point Triple Square bit (for Quattro)
-10mm 12 point Triple Square bit (for FWD)

Old 02-10-2014, 06:01 AM
1st Gear
Default Axle install tip - no pinch bolt removal!

I struggled trying to install the passenger side axle for 1 hour and it would NOT go. I did both front axles 2 1/2 years ago, 70,000 miles. At that time, they went in with some finagling. I have had two wheel alignments since and maybe the hub was moved slightly closer to the inner joint trans flange.

The secret is to jack up the suspension to ride height like you would do to tighten suspension bolts. With that, the axle slipped right in, 5 minutes. I started with the inner joint just in front and below the trans flange. Splines then cleared outer hub and slid in.

I was not happy that the axle went in 70,000 miles. The good news is it has a lifetime warranty so new axle was free. I splurged $5.00 more for new vs rebuilt. And, the $16.00 hub bolt was included.

Hope this helps my fellow suffering Audi gearheads.