B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Greetings from NJ, just bought a B5 A4

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:01 PM
1st Gear
Default Greetings from NJ, just bought a B5 A4

Hi folks,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I recently purchased a clean, unmolested 2001 A4 quattro 1.8T. As with any used car I buy, I usually spend a few hundred or so on replacing maintenance items so that the car will not leave me (more importantly, my wife) stranded anywhere.

The car has about 110,000 miles on it and runs well. (no MIL lights on) A check under the oil fill cap reveals a fairly clean top end. No oil leaks. The previous owner had the suspension arms replaced in the front, along with a set of new tires and brakes all around. I asked, but the PO wasn't sure if the timing belt/tensioners/water pump had been replaced. She just mentioned spending a few thousand in maintenance over the past few years. (didn't keep any documentation)

This is what I'm going to do before I register and insure the car:

Timing Belt, water pump and tensioner pulleys.
Alternator.
Serpentine belt.
Radiator hoses, heater hoses, any little molded bypass hoses.
Thermostat
Air/fuel filters
Coolant flush and fill
O2 sensors

The following will be replaced because it's an Audi:

Breather hoses, air injection hoses.
Combi valve. (so the air pump doesn't die prematurely)
MAF sensor

This will be my wife's daily driver, so I want it to be trouble free for a few years.

The coil packs all look brand new and the engine has no rattles from the cam chain tensioner on startup.

Is there anything else you guys recommend I take care of? I don't want to get too familiar with removing the lock carrier if you know what I mean....

Thanks fellas!

(I've never owned an Audi before, but I must say that this is a pretty impressive little car. The 1.8T engine has great torque, I had to get used to shifting a lot sooner than our Hyundai Tiburon 2.0 which needs to be wrung out quite a bit more to keep up with crazy NJ traffic.)

Old 06-27-2012, 07:52 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

Seems like you've got most of it down. Wheel bearings also go on these. Dunno how often, but I've gone through 3.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:57 PM

Ha VGO it shouldn't happen that often!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by vgo
Seems like you've got most of it down. Wheel bearings also go on these. Dunno how often, but I've gone through 3.
I've got an OTC "hub tamer" on car wheel bearing press kit that I think has adapters for Audi. I'll wait until I hear them humming - unless you think they are enough of a weak point to warrant replacing as a preventive measure.

Also forgot the mention the lava lamp rearview mirror and dead pixels in the LCD display. I have experience in soldering so the LCD is not a problem - I just hope I get a decent quality replacement from fleabay. Are there any known good vendors for LCD's? I don't want to buy cheap junk that will look horrible.

I was able to get another five hundred off the price because of the mirror/display issues.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:34 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
Ha VGO it shouldn't happen that often!
I agree,i've had my 2001 A4 B5 AWM for over 3 years and just changed,both rear wheel bearings. The driver side was making the loudest noise but since i've got them replaced,its been quiet as a church mice in the cabin.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by morpheous
I agree,i've had my 2001 A4 B5 AWM for over 3 years and just changed,both rear wheel bearings. The driver side was making the loudest noise but since i've got them replaced,its been quiet as a church mice in the cabin.
hahah i just got a crutchfield catalog and dynamite makes a new product thats like foam insulation type deal, sounds like its right up your alley Morph