B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

HELP! Should i just sell my car?! Let oil go low! Burned oil!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:23 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP! Should i just sell my car?! Let oil go low! Burned oil!

I let my oil go down past the min. mark 1.3 of the way and the oil is the closest thing to black without calling it a 'truley black' and smells kinda burnt. HOLY **** ive never dont this to my last ride, should i just junk the motor now? you think my compression is in the trash now?>

Old 07-02-2008, 11:29 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: HELP! Should i just sell my car or forget about all performance upgrades?

how long did you drive like that. my oil was down that low once too because it was burning it and leaking from the VCG but since i fixed it and put a bottle of engine seal reviver in i'm all good. if you decide to sell, any chance you wanna swap exhausts? i'll give you both res and muffler for your 14816.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:38 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: HELP! Should i just sell my car or forget about all performance upgrades?

bro selling is not even funny right now. i drive with it like that maby for around 12-14 days. the cars got 111,200 miles on it! ****! any body please tell me its not to ****. hiwords was your engine oil black? and what sealer did u use?

Old 07-02-2008, 11:51 PM
3rd Gear

oil turns black after time, its not necessairily a bad thing. are you asking wether or not you should scrap your engine because your oil was black? have you seen ANY other difference in the car?

just change the oil and filter. use a good oil (mobil1 0w40, or 5w30 for your 2.8) and use put "seafoam" in the search function of the forum and read what comes up. i doubt you did any real damage.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:10 AM
1st Gear

i herd seafoam will hurt higher mileage engines and well,,,,i have the worst luck on the planet no joke so i think the most i would use would be i think that "Engine Restore" stuff.idk.

its good to hear that ghost..im like buggin right now. i think the first thing i do after i wake up even b4 i friggin eat something im gonna change my oil and hope my Esabell dont hate me for forgettin about her. 5W-30 is ok for all around extreme temps? cause in NY we get really cold and really hot. right now its like between 85-95 every day

no i really havent noticed any different in the car. but im sure when i drive it next im going to think there is a diffference.....dammit.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:22 AM
5th Gear

autozone has this stuff called like block sealer from stop leak. it basically makes your piston rings puffy so you don't burn as much oil. seafoam won't hurt if the car was taken cared of. i run seafoam through the gas every fill up and every other time i change my oil. my VCG leaked afterwards but it's an easy fix. i got 117k on mine. i used to run 10-40 last year and switched to 5-30 this year. i don't notice much of a difference though. from now on, check your oil every weekend. it only takes a min to do. i drove mine with low oil for like 3 days and the light finally came on. i hadn't checked my oil for a while but now i check it every month or 2x a month. if you're queasy, do a compression check. autozone has everything you need for that.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Administrator

Yep. I use Seafoam in my engine as well (99 30v 2.8L, 157k miles, no leaks, no trouble). Hiwords and I are both in NY as well. I run 5W30 all year with no trouble. I agree also that it's very unlikely that you've done any real damage. Seafoam the car, change the oil and filter, and then do a compression test - doing so will help you feel secure that your engine is still in good shape, or will bring to light any issues you have with ring sealing so you can treat the car's ailments properly.

Where in NY are you? We're both in Binghamton. You should swing through sometime.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:35 AM
1st Gear

Im down in Mt. Sinai Long Island, Suffolk County. Thanks for the advise Upstate. Hey is any one going to Waterfest? I Think ill start a thread to see who is going.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:38 AM
Administrator

Cool. If you do come up this way, make sure to give us a yell beforehand to set something up. And go to the Off Topic forum - there's already a Waterfest thread going

Old 07-03-2008, 12:39 AM
5th Gear

well i wanted to go but not by myself. since jeremy is "booked" i guess i'm not going either. but i do have plans for audi driving experience at the poconos

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! Should i just sell my car?! Let oil go low! Burned oil!