B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Help with Vag com code - Brake Light Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:04 AM
1st Gear
Default Whoah!

ok...you lost me at hello...That is more technical talk than im used to...but very interesting. I can try that in the morning. This is a new (well, used, but new to my car) TCM, so perhaps it does need to be coded.

But, my car is not a quattro. It is Front wheel drive. It is a 1.8Turbo automatic, and it does have tiptronic. Could you tell me what I need to code it if it is a non quattro?

This is interesting, and if I can figure out how to recode it, I can try and recode it if it does not work. I went back and checked, and it is giving all 0's for the trans code. I am just hoping the "lite" version lets me recode the trans.

Thanks for the help by the way.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:28 AM
2nd Gear

For none quattro front wheel drive,coding would be 00013 or 00003 shouldn't matter,which one you use,both codes have the same result.

3 - "Rest of world, FronTrak"

By the way....The used TCM that you replaced with your original,does it have the same serial number? If not,that could be the reason why,it isn't working.

I have a extra TCM with the same serial as my original,i purchased it,last year,when i was having trouble with my transmission.

When i was testing it,i just unplugged the original and plugged in the used one,without coding it or anything,it worked but still gave the same result as the tranny was shot.

I still have it in my trunk,figured I'd keep it as a spare,in case the one i'm using now,gets wet from underneath the passenger side floor. (knock on wood)

Last edited by morpheous; 04-03-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 AM
1st Gear
Default Tcm

Yes, the TCM does have the same serial number, and I am hoping
The coding is the issue. I was also noticing that I could have the wrong
Engine coding, but the Ross wiki did not have my exact engine
Size for some reason. Here is what I found for engine coding for an Audi
B5:

2.7l T (AGB/AJK/APB/ARE/AZA/AZB/BEL/BES)
Coding

??xxx: Emissions
05 = Euro II/D3
06 = TLEV (USA)
07 = LEV (USA)
08 = GUS/China
10 = Euro III
11 = Euro IV/Japan
25 = South Africa
26 = Mexico/Taiwan
27 = Brasil
xx?xx: Powertrain
5 = Front-Wheel-Drive
6 = All-Wheel-Drive without ASR/ESP (with CAN-Bus)
7 = All-Wheel-Drive with ASR/ESP (with CAN-Bus)
8 = All-Wheel-Drive with Post-Switch Stage (Low Range - A6 Allroad only)
xxx?x: Transmission
1 = 6-Speed Manual Transmission
5 = 5-Speed Automatic Transmission (01V)
xxxx?: Vehicle
2 = Audi A6
5 = Audi A6 Allroad
Readiness

Readiness - APB Engine Code

MY Audi is coded as: 06051 - Shouldnt it be 06551? I have no idea why it has A6 as 2 and A6 as 5....I am not even in the
A6 area of Ross wiki, and my "1" is not listed as an option. Also, I do not have a 2.7L, but this was the only option under A4-B5 section.

Perhaps the site has an error??? Here is the link, and as you can see, it only has the 2.7 listed as an engine type.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index..._A4/S4/RS4_(8D)

Last edited by TexasLexus71; 04-03-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:09 AM
2nd Gear

Here is the coding for the transmission in a automatic B5:

5-Speed Automatic Transmission (01V) - Ross-Tech Wiki

I'm not sure about the engine code,though. Your having trouble with the transmission,not the engine,right?

Old 04-03-2012, 11:17 AM
1st Gear

Yes, the transmission is the problem. I just noticed that the engine code though has a digit to distinguish from manual or auto....mine had neither value - it has a zero in that spot.

But back to the trans, I have tried to change the code value a few times now and seem to be having some problems. I can go into the Trans controller, and then into option 7, and it will allow me to enter a new code (00013), but when I hit "do it" it seems to accept it and go back to the controller screen, but when the controller updates, it is still at the "00000" value. I have tried both with engine running, and with engine off, accessories on...same thing. perhaps Im doing this wrong?

Update: I have found the correct engine coding information and my engine controller is coded correctly! ;-)

Last edited by TexasLexus71; 04-03-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: new information
Old 04-03-2012, 12:33 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by TexasLexus71
Yes, the transmission is the problem. I just noticed that the engine code though has a digit to distinguish from manual or auto....mine had neither value - it has a zero in that spot.

But back to the trans, I have tried to change the code value a few times now and seem to be having some problems. I can go into the Trans controller, and then into option 7, and it will allow me to enter a new code (00013), but when I hit "do it" it seems to accept it and go back to the controller screen, but when the controller updates, it is still at the "00000" value. I have tried both with engine running, and with engine off, accessories on...same thing. perhaps Im doing this wrong?

Update: I have found the correct engine coding information and my engine controller is coded correctly! ;-)
How about your TCM coding? is that correct now,too? What did you do different,than what you did before,to get it to code correctly?

Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 PM
1st Gear
Default Still having coding issue

Sorry. I should have stated that a little better. I am still having coding issue. I did not change my engine code at all because I was able to find out that it was correct, so no change to the engine code was needed.

I have tried to recode the TCM just about any way I could think of....ignition on/off/ engine running, and can not get it to save the new code. I tried different codes just to see if it would save anything, and still no luck. I also put on my old TCM back on the car (which strangely has the same "0"s for code and shop code too) and tried to recode the old one....no dice.

I dont think it has to do with the fact Im running the "lite" version because it makes it a point to let me know when Im not allowed to do something in the shareware version....so, Im not sure what the issue is.

UPDATE: I dont know if it is good news or not, but when I unhooked the TCM, it threw car into limp mode - reverse still did not work, but i was able to drive around block in what im assuming is only 4th gear. Car died on me at a stop light, and when I restarted(I had hooked TCM back to car), it must have cleared the limp home mode, and the car started to do its harsh downshift? again, threw me to steering wheel as I was not expecting the stall. I got back, ran my OBDII scanner and it pulled these codes:

P1813
P1823
P1828

I cleared the codes, redid the scan, and it gave me another code:

P1818

From some searches I have already done, this is pointing to a solenoid? Not a very difficult job, according to the experts.

UPDATE II :: Ok, first, Im sorry for this long *** post, but I found additional information as to why I might not be able to change the trans code. I found this on Ross Tech Wiki: ( I highlighted the prominent info)

Note: If you are an individual user or independent mechanic, just leave the WorkShop Code set to "00000". This allows VCDS to operate in “stealth” mode, keeping whatever WSC that was already in the controller. If you are using VCDS at a Dealership, enter your Dealer's Workshop Code. The Work Shop Code is not easily changed once set on this screen. Contact us for advice if you need to do so.

Some control modules do not allow themselves to be Coded with the default 00000 WSC in place. VCDS should prompt you with a message to input non-zero values in such cases. You should NOT make such changes in the Options screen itself.

I can try to change the dealer code in the options menu to see if that is why it is not letting me code (since im in stealth mode), but what scares me a little is that it says it is not easy to change the dealer code once you put it in...I was just going to put 12345, but now, Im worried I might lose all functionality if i put a weird code in for the dealer.

Last edited by TexasLexus71; 04-03-2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Started a new post

I have started a new post, but thought I would add some info here for anyone in the future researching these posts. I was able to find on the wikiRosstech site that the 00000 code for my TCM is correct. It was not allowing me to change it because the article states that the TCM will not allow you to change it to an invalid code. Here is the specific info I found that supports this:

Coding

Non-DBW (Drive-by-Wire) Cars:

00000 = Standard (DSP active)
00010 = Standard (DSP inactive)

DBW (Drive-by-Wire) Cars:

0?xxx: Tiptronic Installation
0 = Tiptronic Buttons/Paddles not installed
1 = Tiptronic Buttons (shifter +/- switch) and/or Paddles installed
0x?xx: Tiptronic Strategy
0 = Old Strategy (Shifts to first Gear when braked to Standstill)
1 = New Strategy (Automatic Up/Down Shift before RPM Limit & Down Shift at Kick-Down)
0xx?x: Dynamic Shift Program (DSP)
0 = DSP active
1 = DSP inactive
0xxx?: Region/Powertrain
1 = All-Wheel-Drive (Rest of World)
2 = All-Wheel-Drive (North American Region)
3 = Front-Wheel-Drive (Rest of World)
4 = Front-Wheel-Drive (North American Region)
Category: Transmissions