B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

How to unF*#$ a TRE! *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator
Default How to unF*#$ a TRE! *PICS*

So yesterday I ranted about how my TRE was unable to come off my car. So we attacked it again today! Here is my story!
Part A which should be firmly attached to part B wasn't! Part A was just spinning. Part B would not come out of part C which it should!

So we went to the shop and tried the main way. Vice grips on thread vice grips on the main bolt and LOTS of heat!

After about 15 mins. I make the executive decision to cut the boot to the inner tierod and see if we can get that off... WHO THE HELL MADE IT 1.5 inches?! but we got that off pretty easy once we found a wrench! So we decided to put the whole thing in a vice and try again! NNNOOOTTTHHHIIINNNGGGG!

So I was like lets just try and cut the tie rod off since it wasn't doing much anyways!

Notice how it's rubber in there? That's what was causing it to spin! "If what ever lil' German made this was standing here I'd slap him upside the head and ask him what he was thinking." -Father-in-law

So now we locked the lil' bit of threads that were left into the vice once we flatted two sides!

And now we double fisted some torches and heated that PITA up!

Then we grabbed BIG bertha and locked that on to wrench see above!

VICTORY IS MINE!!!!!!!

You can see it wasn't really messed up inside so no idea WTF was freezing it up! But we put it all back together and now I'm happy! So last night was about 2 hours and about 2 hours tonight!

Last edited by chocalotstarfish; 03-15-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:09 PM
4th Gear

so much anger haha

Old 03-15-2010, 09:14 PM
2nd Gear

Seems like it would have been a whole lot easier to just replace the inner joint and be done with it.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:34 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 99A4NOW
Seems like it would have been a whole lot easier to just replace the inner joint and be done with it.
I have done this job and I understand OP's pain......it's the principle of the matter.....

Originally Posted by chocalotstarfish
"If what ever lil' German made this was standing here I'd slap him upside the head and ask him what he was thinking." -Father-in-law
[/IMG]
When a buddy of mine and I tackled the complete front end CA install....he pretty much said those exact words........Glad to see you were victorious. Did you have a victory beer or smoke???

Old 03-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 99A4NOW
Yeah we were going to do that but everyone was going to be a 5 day wait and the only one that had one was a Stealership 2hrs away and they wanted $125 when all other places wanted $60! So when we tried this it was an ehhh if we F
it up the car just sits a week if not we are awesome!

Originally Posted by ObnoxiousDrunk
Glad to see you were victorious. Did you have a victory beer or smoke???
Well I don't smoke and drink rarely! I did stop at Burger King on the way home and had a nice tendergrill sandwich!

Last edited by chocalotstarfish; 03-15-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Good kill And yeah it does get down to the principle of the matter about not admitting defeat to that SOB. The thread shaft looks like mine did - lots of seizing and environmental torque that just locks it up like a chemical weld. I know how you felt when you got it - I was thrilled and the three of us had a victory Yuengling when we were done. However you choose to celebrate, you've definitely earned it after that job. Nice work man - feels good doesn't it?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:21 PM
5th Gear

lmao, i do something quite similar with a bench clamp when doing the springs on the front end. i guess i have somebody else who doesn't drink a lot to accompany me haha. just be glad you don't have to do the rack. J can attest that it's not easy lol

Old 03-15-2010, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Yuengling FTW! When I do drink that's all I drink! I still have one 6 pack left from my last trip to PA (no sale in ohio) And yeah it felt good! Now to just get it aligned tomorrow and next job I'm thinking is Timing belt trying to decide before or after NY. Probably going to be after since I'm putting all spare cash into getting ready and cant afford that $700+ before hand!

Old 03-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Chocalotstarfish, you'll be in good company - Yueng is the only beer any of us drink here (you'll have to stock up for the trip home). And Hiwords, I agree completely - the steering rack is one job I'd be happy to never do again. If mine ever fails, I'll probably just set the car on fire. But honestly, that damn TRE was as much of a pain overall - not as frustrating to try and figure out but a lot more brutality. And if we had a little more time we could bang out the t-belt while you were here but I have to frigging work on Monday

Old 03-15-2010, 10:54 PM
5th Gear

it didn't take it that long to do jiggleo's T-belt? about 4 hours and we were messing around most of the time? i think you can do it in 6 or 7 by yourself.

Quick Reply: How to unF*#$ a TRE! *PICS*