B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

The Journey :| Rebuild of engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 05:49 AM
1st Gear
Default The Journey :| Rebuild of engine?

Okay so I've been thinking about my A4 a lot, I've wanted to sell it after seeing some Stage III S4s. I wanted to buy an B5 S4 but there isn't really any for sale in my city, and I'm not sure about traveling across the country to get one. I recently contemplated buying a 350z but to my surprise my credit is 50% better than most Americans ( I know that's not much to say) but since I have NO real credit, High credit limits etc. I'm not able to get a loan with a good interest rate, can still get the car but I feel like my almost entire check will be going to a car note insurance is a B***** at my age.

SO to get to the point, my A4 needs some work. It has 180k miles on it now, its running not as perfect as I want it to be but these are some things I definitely know it needs.

New catalytic converter
Clutch
brakes + front rotors
Turbo(I'm sure this will go just a matter of time. Some times its making a loud ticking noise after a start up n it gets running. I'm not sure if it could be my lifters or what.).
Re-build of the engine.

Upgrades I want to do(bit by bit)
APR 1.8T ECU Upgrade
APR 1.8T Stage III kit
DXD Clutch and Flywheel Stage 3 endurance
Intercooler
Carbon Fiber hood
An APR Vent Mount
Eibach Pro-Plus Springs and sway bars
Brakes(not sure if I should should get a big brake kit or another kit I saw a on etektuning)
Carbino intake
Milltek Catback Exhaust
Eibach Pro-Street-S Coilovers
^ I was looking at a local company Etektuning.com that has all of these products to offer in my city.

Needs some cosmetic work but I'm not too worried about that right now. I'm a noob when it comes to cars, I know a little and I mean a LITTLE. But I feel that I should learn how to rebuild an engine and this maybe a project I should take up. I'm wondering If I should just save up some money and try and get something stock that will be pushing out the numbers this A4 would be after all this work. The whole goal I'm trying to achieve is a car is to take it to a road track and have an awesome sporty Daily Driver. Not much of a drag racer would do it from time to time but it just doesn't interest me. Would anyone give me some advice to help?

Last edited by I-Reef; 07-07-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Tech Slut

Eliminator kit from ringerracing.com would make the same power as an APR stage3 and cost way less

Old 07-07-2012, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

Would it matter if my a4 is a 97, and that is a very big difference in pricing, though I did want to replace the cat and the manifold as well.

http://www.etektuning.com/integrated...1-short-block/ would this be a good idea to purchase?

Last edited by I-Reef; 07-07-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

injectors, fmic, coolant and oil lines, rods, fuel pump , software, turbo, exhaust manifold, downpipe and exhaust, turbo air inlet, air filter, clutch and all related hardware is essential for a solid big turbo. Easily over 6k. Add engine reconditioning and new brakes your around 10k. you'll have a newer car but not worth the money you put into it. 350z would be a better choice for you and your needs it seems. It all depends how much you love your car. I got a tt and I like luxury but build the performance.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:56 PM
1st Gear

I do love the car, but every time I add up the numbers for the upgrades it dawns on me that its really not worth that much, when I'm probably going to be pushing out what stock S4 is putting out or one with a ecu upgrade. I was seriously thinking, just replacing the turbo with one that doesn't give that much gains but something, the clutch, and a ecu upgrade. Just to hold me off until I can save some more money for a down payment and my new job comes through.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Tech Guru

i've ran my car against a stage 2+ s4 and put a hurting on it... i am on an elim and clutchmasters fx400

screw the dxd

Old 07-10-2012, 08:04 AM
1st Gear

The clutch just went out on the car yesterday before work, I'm just going to go and throw the money into this car, now I just got an offer for an american express card( I was told theres no limit on the card and you can set up a payments to pay off your balance) if I get it I'm tempted to go and take it to the local tuning shop and have them do the work on it with a balance of 10k. Which covers the turbo all necessary upgrades to handle it, the ecu, suspension, brakes, and even throwing in a new engine that i can buy else wher. Though thats basing off what I was told about american express and if they wouls let me even charge that much. I'm thinking its too good to be true I was going to get parts here and there for the car do some research, get a service manual and try to put everything together myself.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:36 AM

unless your credits good i doubt anyone is giving you a limit of 10k right off the bat. either way its not that good of an idea to open a credit card and go spend 10k. theres a reason people are in massive credit card debt...

Old 07-10-2012, 10:33 AM
1st Gear

Yeah thats why I said I'm gonna buy parts in bits and pieces, might use that card when I get to bigger parts of the projects like the big brake kit. But does anyone know if it would be smart to rebuild the engine myself? Knowing I have no experience what so ever.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:27 PM
1st Gear
Default don't do it

don't go into debt over a 15 year old car. just my 2 cts worth.

Quick Reply: The Journey :| Rebuild of engine?