B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

The Journey :| Rebuild of engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:26 AM

i love that idea, only if Chris' girls TT stops breaking so he is allowed to have fun XD

Old 07-18-2012, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
i love that idea, only if Chris' girls TT stops breaking so he is allowed to have fun XD
Don't say that! It might hear you and throw a fit!

Old 07-18-2012, 12:36 PM

"IT" can throw her broken axel(s) at me if it desires.
The next meet should be a wrenching meet, save all the fun **** for the meet.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Every meet is more or less a wrenching meet, I would just rather drink beer and make an *** of myself than take my car apart

Old 07-18-2012, 01:47 PM

hahaha i see where your coming from.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:22 PM
1st Gear

you can do the porsche boxer caliper on the a4 they can be had for 400. plus hardware and everything you way under 1000 which still isn't the thrice of a brembo kit. I swapped my spindles to s4 spindles and am running s4 brakes. This summer I'm strapping on a set of porsche cayenne calipers.

If you get any engine used its always a good idea to break it down and at least check it. With time and patience you can rebuild the 1.8t.
Thanks I'm going to look into that, I'm sure the guys at the shop could have told me that but they wanna make their money.. And I'm not sure about a compression leak, its just the engine sounds like something is going to go, theres a ticking sound that I usually got when i was running low on engine oil and it burns oil like crazy, and since I have put oil in it, its making the sound but from a different part of the engine.

love that video series!

IF this is DD and your not planning on running high boost, bt, anything like that theres not really a purpose for a rebuild. Yea you'll have a 0 mile engine but a used one at 80k, will still run if you the care of it.
CHris, id love to give you a hand on this big turbo job. Big turbos are always fun.

Adding to what chris said, when you to do much at once you get overwhelmed as well and feel like it can't be done and then you get lazy and **** **** up. Break it down into small projects.

Have you run a compression and leak down on your motor?
Originally Posted by CCA4
Surprised this hasn't been brought up yet, but I saw you mentioned that this car was your daily driver. What are your plans for getting around while you're working on it? If you don't have other means of transport yet, I would put that on the list. The work you're talking about doing yourself can be very time consuming, especially if it's your first time.

If you're curious about rebuilding a 1.8T, check out this video:

1.8t engine assembly HOW TO(part 1) - YouTube

It's part one of a 5 part series on rebuilding a VAG 1.8T. The other videos are linked via the first one.
Thats the video I watched that gave me an idea that I could do it if i took my time, and I still have my honda that I'm driving in the mean time.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by I-Reef
Thats the video I watched that gave me an idea that I could do it if i took my time, and I still have my honda that I'm driving in the mean time.
Perfect! I definitely think it's doable. Just take your time, be careful, LABEL EVERYTHING, and post up here if you get into any trouble. Still not convinced a full rebuild is necessary in this case though. Do a compression test and a leak down test and see what you get, then decide if a full rebuild is necessary.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:51 PM
1st Gear

Perfect! I definitely think it's doable. Just take your time, be careful, LABEL EVERYTHING, and post up here if you get into any trouble. Still not convinced a full rebuild is necessary in this case though. Do a compression test and a leak down test and see what you get, then decide if a full rebuild is necessary.
Will do for sure, I'm liking the idea of doing stuff in pieces, but the engine has 180k on it so I was thinking a rebuild would be necessary so I don't blow that one to shreds after a month of driving. I'm thinking of just buying a used one with about 80k or less and just putting that in for the mean time

Old 07-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Well if you have another daily, justifying a rebuild gets a lot easier. In that case you can do it just because you're bored. I was just saying that you should do compression and leak down tests to make sure it was necessary before investing in more parts that you may or may not need. I agree that a motor with almost 200k miles on it would definitely benefit from new rings and seals and all that jazz

Old 07-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Tech Slut

I would just rather drink beer and make an *** of myself than take my car apart
I was under the impression that making an *** of yourself was a direct result of taking your car apart... or was it your gf's?

Quick Reply: The Journey :| Rebuild of engine?