B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Motor removal/Front clip removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Tech Slut

No, DO NOT PULL YOUR HALFSHAFTS, its unecessary and a waste of time.
After the front clip is off, undo all sensors, hoses, etc at the motor and leave them hanging there (it will be much easier to put everything back together with the new motor).
When you take things apart, replace all bolts in there spots by a few threads so you dont lose them. Get as many bell housing bolts out as possible before jacking up the block. They have hex heads with allen insides to ease removal in tight spots, also helps if you strip anything then you have another option lol. You can leave the head on and even the manifolds if you want. Take the nuts off the motor mounts when you jack it up for the lower bell bolts. Make sure you put some wood inbetween the jack and oil pan when you jack it up. its not too hard once youre in there. Feel free to pm me with any other questions, i'll even give you my number if you need to be talked thru anything, but you should be fine.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:27 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs
After the front clip is off, undo all sensors, hoses, etc at the motor and leave them hanging there (it will be much easier to put everything back together with the new motor).
When you take things apart, replace all bolts in there spots by a few threads so you dont lose them. Get as many bell housing bolts out as possible before jacking up the block. They have hex heads with allen insides to ease removal in tight spots, also helps if you strip anything then you have another option lol. You can leave the head on and even the manifolds if you want. Take the nuts off the motor mounts when you jack it up for the lower bell bolts. Make sure you put some wood inbetween the jack and oil pan when you jack it up. its not too hard once youre in there. Feel free to pm me with any other questions, i'll even give you my number if you need to be talked thru anything, but you should be fine.
Wow so the axles stay in the car?

Old 11-17-2010, 06:31 PM

Sounds like the tranny doesn't need to be removed, and since the half shafts bolt to the tranny, they can stay in.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Tech Slut

Originally Posted by 99a4wagon
Wow so the axles stay in the car?
You're going to make me start killing kittens over here. Do you have ADD or something?

Old 11-17-2010, 09:46 PM
2nd Gear

Lol I wish I would've read this before I pulled my engine

Old 11-17-2010, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

You're going to make me start killing kittens over here. Do you have ADD or something?
I was using this tech article.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng98.shtml

Old 11-18-2010, 12:17 AM
Tech Slut

Well that is pretty much a worthless write-up for you since its such a different motor with very different components. You ARE working on a 99 1.8t and NOT an 2.7tt S4 RIGHT? I don't remember ever workin on an S4, but I don't see why the halfshafts would need to come out on that either, maybe they are in the way of something I guess
Just do like I said and you'll be fine. Not to sound like an *******, but I doubt your mechanical ability thus far, I find 1.8t A4's very simple. I've worked on cars with MUCH harder setups. But I've also worked in plenty of shops before. Just tear into it and take a good look at everything, it becomes pretty self explanatory.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

I am mechanically incline but I second guess myself with the audis. I use to build dsms all the time. I've never really did a motor swap before. Well if the driveshaft and axles dont have to come out then im going to pull the motor today. All that is left is the bell housing bolts and the just wires and hoses to the motor and the motor mounts.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:54 PM
1st Gear

Shoot me your number just incase..

Old 11-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Tech Slut

I gotcha. I think your getting confused because awd DSMs have big transfer cases with halfshafts that do just slide out. You're going to find that 1.8ts are far easier than what your used to. Our trans have internal t-cases and with the front clip off, everything is right there with plenty of room to work. I'll pm you my number now.

Quick Reply: Motor removal/Front clip removal