Motor removal/Front clip removal - AudiForums.com



B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-06-2010, 10:21 PM
1st Gear
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 122
Default Motor removal/Front clip removal

Can someone point me in the direction.. Im going to do a motor swap very soon.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-07-2010, 01:04 AM
FASTER's Avatar
Tech Slut
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 3,150
Default

That's pretty general lol. Drain coolant and oil. Bumper off, headlights out, take out top bolts by headlights, take off bumper shocks. Remove radiator and boost hoses. Either just slide front clip to the passenger side or take AC lines off. Undo turbo and all accessories and both manifolds. Jack up motor with wood between jack and oil pan to access the bottom 3 bell housing bolts. Pretty much all there is to it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-07-2010, 01:15 AM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 86
Default

5 minute job. 10 tops
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-07-2010, 01:26 AM
1st Gear
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs View Post
That's pretty general lol. Drain coolant and oil. Bumper off, headlights out, take out top bolts by headlights, take off bumper shocks. Remove radiator and boost hoses. Either just slide front clip to the passenger side or take AC lines off. Undo turbo and all accessories and both manifolds. Jack up motor with wood between jack and oil pan to access the bottom 3 bell housing bolts. Pretty much all there is to it.
Wow that does seem pretty easy. Theres only 3 bolts holding tranny to block?

Also can someone point me in the direction of a timing belt how to. Need to know what tools I need and if I can get all the parts at autozone or something?

Last edited by 99a4wagon; 11-07-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2010, 06:20 AM
ImTheDevil's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 11,670
Default

Check the DIY forum on here, audiworld.com, or audidiy.com. Don't fool yourself. It's not easy. 10 minutes tops? Lol it's at least twice that. You must be cutting corners.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-07-2010, 11:27 AM
FASTER's Avatar
Tech Slut
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 3,150
Default

No the 3 bottom ones are tucked in by the sub frame, so you need to jack up the motor to access them. Plus you need to disconnect a few more things than I mentioned lol, but I was just giving you an idea of what to do. It can easily be done in a day tho if you know your way around the car.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-07-2010, 10:12 PM
1st Gear
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterA4ThanUrs View Post
No the 3 bottom ones are tucked in by the sub frame, so you need to jack up the motor to access them. Plus you need to disconnect a few more things than I mentioned lol, but I was just giving you an idea of what to do. It can easily be done in a day tho if you know your way around the car.
Ok thanks..Im not really in a hurry to do it.. I bought a 92 v8 quattro to drive around until its fixed.

My concern is doing the timing belt.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-07-2010, 10:57 PM
1st Gear
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: pa
Posts: 122
Default

OK I found the write ups..Can I get my timing stuff from autozone or advanced?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-08-2010, 06:49 AM
CCA4's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NW PA
Posts: 7,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99a4wagon View Post
OK I found the write ups..Can I get my timing stuff from autozone or advanced?
Doubtful. Blauparts.com is the place to go for timing belt parts.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Msnickbroderick's Avatar
Actual WIZARD
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,047
Default

You don't have to remove the motor for a TB...

Unless im missing something
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removal of ECT sensor with broken horseshoe clip twincroft Audi A6 0 06-08-2014 04:55 PM
motor mount removal A3 ? delftvanp General Tech 0 08-14-2012 11:18 AM
Starter Motor Removal? Dan_89 B6 Models 0 01-03-2012 05:31 PM
Need help with motor removal!!! AUDITONE4 B5 Models 0 07-20-2011 12:46 PM
Radio removal clip broken 2001 A4 crazehaze Electronics 3 10-16-2006 08:33 PM


Tags
1999, 96, 99, a4, audi, b5, clamp, clip, diy, exhaust, forum, front, motor, removal, removing, replacement, s4

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Advertising
Featured Sponsors

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.