B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

My A4 1.8T smokes like crazy, help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 02:10 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Andrew149
well if you dont have the money i advise you to never own an audi buy a bicycle
There I fixed it for you because all cars cost money to own.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:53 PM
3rd Gear

yepppppp

Old 10-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator

It's worth a shot to clean it, but use Seafoam - remember, whatever you use to clean it out is going to go back into your oil pan. Seafoam is used for cleaning oil sludge, so it'd have a good chance at working. Ideally you'll remove the line from the car, soak it in a tub of cleaner, then try and ream any residual crap out of it before reinstallation. That'd give you the next best thing to replacement.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:14 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
It's worth a shot to clean it, but use Seafoam - remember, whatever you use to clean it out is going to go back into your oil pan. Seafoam is used for cleaning oil sludge, so it'd have a good chance at working. Ideally you'll remove the line from the car, soak it in a tub of cleaner, then try and ream any residual crap out of it before reinstallation. That'd give you the next best thing to replacement.
Will do. I use Seafoam anyway, and I think I already have some

Old 10-30-2009, 04:44 PM

Where are you buying your turbos? Have a pic maybe?

Old 10-30-2009, 08:40 PM
2nd Gear

G-Popshop

Old 11-01-2009, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

My car is leaking from the tailpipe, it leaks when the car is warmed up, it smokes pretty heavily.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:18 PM
1st Gear
Default Hi Everyone

So here is my deal. I have a 2001 Audi A4 1.8T with about 185,000. I put in a speedtuning 91 octane chip, and took out my Cat for a test pipe. As of the last 6 months or so, I have been noticing that when it's chilly out, I would say anything below 40 or so degrees, my car smokes blue like a SOB and stinks like **** when I start it after it sits overnight. Now, it doesn't start smoking instantly when I start it up (at least not the blue I am talking about), more or less normal white from being cold and whatever. It smokes like this until I begin driving it for about a mile or so. After it warms up and runs a bit, the smoking doesn't seem to be an issue (at least the blue smoke) that I am worried about. I know that blue is oil, and it seemed to begin this shortly after putting in my test pipe. I have always changed my oil with 5w40 Amsoil Euro blend fully synthetic every 5000 for years. Again, this smoking became noticeable since fall/winter began here in Minnesota. It's obviously still winter, so I am unsure if this is not as big of an issue when it's above 40 or whatever? My oil has been low about 1 quart every 5000 since noticing this, which from what I understand with 185,000 miles is pretty darn common. I seen something about valve stem seals on here, but am unsure since it smokes like hell mainly when it is started after sitting overnight would be a symptom of that diagnoses? Again, it doesn't seem to smoke blue after it has been running for a few miles and the temp is within normal range, nor does it smoke again after it sits for even a couple hours once the day has begun, ONLY IN THE MORNINGS after it's been sitting for over 8 hours or so. I don't have any power loss, the boost is GREAT at 21 spike and 17-18 hold, and no vag lights have came on. I thought it was the oil side of my turbo at first, but since the blowing of blue smoke isn't constant throughout, I wouldn't think that's the problem, plus I don't have any power loss like previously stated. I don't know, I didn't think valve guide seals went in these 1.8's like Japanese cars that I have had in the past, and my car would blow blue smoke every morning upon starting (similar to this issue with my A4). Any insight on what the issue may be would be SWEET!

Old 02-17-2010, 06:30 PM
2nd Gear

Blue smoke at startup is said to generally be valve seals in domestic cars (which I know more about) but I'm not so sure about other makes.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:31 AM

I have the same Exact issue as you down to the test pipe and replaced turbo. I will be cleaning my scavenge line this weekend and I'll let you know if it fixes it.

Quick Reply: My A4 1.8T smokes like crazy, help!