B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

My A4 1.8T smokes like crazy, help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:03 AM
1st Gear
Default Sweet!

Originally Posted by zakario
I have the same Exact issue as you down to the test pipe and replaced turbo. I will be cleaning my scavenge line this weekend and I'll let you know if it fixes it.

Thanks for the prompt replies! Yeah, I always thought ANY seal would mean that it smokes instantly from when you start it since the oil sits in the exhaust overnight, and then when you start it, it blows out immediately. Mine on the other hand, it looks normal with white exhaust smoke right away when I start it, then while it warms up for 5-10 minutes or so (especially on really cold mornings), I will come out of my house and find my entire driveway filled with nasty (oily/hard to explain) smelling smoke. It also smells like something else, but can't seem to pinpoint it. I wonder if it's your turbo Zakario? I look forward to hear something from you soon. The weirdest thing of it all is after I come out of the house and begin to drive it, I can see that same blueish smoke come out when I accelerate, but this only lasts for about 1 mile or so. After a bit of driving, I will continue to look for the same blue smoke through my mirror, but only see the normal white smoke. It's almost as if smoke that is getting flushed out. So it's not an issue if I start it up for 30 sec or a minute and drive right away (granted it has sat for over 6 hours), but it is an issue if I start it up and decide to not drive it for over 1-2 minutes, then it begins smoking like a SOB, and like mentioned lasts for up to 10-15 at idle (I let it warm up for awhile on very cold days here in MN).