B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Need advice on a4 I am looking at

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 03:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Need advice on a4 I am looking at

Well I am Mark and I race dirt midgets I currently have a Cadillac with a northstar as my first car that I picked for $1,000 but it has pulled head studs, leaky head gasket deal witch I will be repairing when the school year is out. As of now I came across a really nice looking Audi a4 it is a 1997 with 170,000 miles 2.8L Quattro. 5 speed standard. replaced clutch and trans was went through. I went to look at it and it runs really nice. Does have a bad battery and they use a jump pack to start it. Very quiet no eghaust leaks. I Ran an OBII computer on it and came up with 11 codes.

3 I lost but
p1435
p1421
p1425
p1472
The next 4 I believe are saying all 4 o2 sensors are bad.
p1196
p1197
p1198
p1199

there was a mass air flow low data and other ones witch I was told that it sat for a long time and that if it was run that those would clear up. I still have the OBII computer and was gonna go back with it running and look at the numbers on the o2 sensors and see if they are erratic or not. I had a bad one on a previouse car and the readings were all over the place. I do not see all 4 o2 sensors going bad so maby there is a bad ground in the circut? I have yet to find anything wrong with the car besides the codes with its mechanics.

It was in a slight collision taking out the LF head light slightly kinking he hood, and loosing the head light sprayer cap. The Hood was repaired and the light replaced and everything was re painted with a perfect match in color. The only reason why I knew it was repaired was running my hand on the paind it is rough feeling and there was slight over spray on the audi oooo on the grill. Thats when I really looked close and saw the repairs when I popped the hood.

The guy is asking $750 it has good tires on it bose sound system heated leather seats drivers side electric. Electric mirrors. I was thinking about telling him about the codes I came up with and offering $500 and seeing what he sais.

The ABS light is on and the Air bag light is on.
The engine light is not witch is weird because the o2 sensors are comming up with those codes...... Shouldn't the check engine light be on? I know there is a code if the light is burnt out or wire is broken or bad connection.

Does the ABS light stop it from getting inspected?

Other then that the glass in the left side mirror is cracked.

Let me know what you guys think I can't really take if for a test drive on the road because of the inspection being a few months old and its not insured. But I am gonna drive it around a little checking how the clutch grabs and reverse etc. then checking for an oil stain under where the car is parked. shape of the eghaust system etc.

What would you guys pay? Offer?

Old 05-17-2011, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like you got a bunch of codes there. Car will probably turn into a money pit. When was the last time the timing belt was done?

Old 05-17-2011, 04:34 PM
1st Gear

i agree with the money pit comment - what are you willing to put into it? - but even with the codes and that many miles on it id take it.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:10 PM
1st Gear

the engine light is on I drove it today only up to like 20 mph shifted into 2nd. Took off good clutch is much better then my fathers with original clutch 170,000 haha. shifted smoth no clunk. all power windows work from everywhere. Battey doesn't hold a charge for a sec. Altinator holds 14 volts. If you lug the engine taking off the lights go dim and when it stalls its bone dead have to start using a jump box. All lights work but LF turn signal and head light. Left side high beam does work. I ran the engine with the computer hooked up and the o2 sensors were a constant .412 or something around that that never changed. So the conections are bad, ground, or they are just bad. I am all for buying this car if I know I can fix the reason why the o2 sensors are bad. Has anyone had all 4 o2 sensors go bad at once? It really sounds like a bad ground. The engine has no hesitation or lack of power at all. I lugged it down to 1,000 up a hill in second and got to like 1/4 throttle and it was accelerating pretty impressivly.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:47 AM
1st Gear

Here are the codes in details:

a) P1435 : Secondary Air Injection System Pump Relay Circuit Short to ground
b) p1421 : Secondary Air Injection Valve Circuit Short to Ground

Take a look here for some help: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Audi-Repa...ion-system.htm
Also you can do a search for "Secondary Air" on the forum's B5 section and you will find many topics about problems related to yours.

Maybe a wiring fault or maybe both parts of the injection system are out.

c) p1425 : Tank Ventilation Valve Short to Ground

d) 1472 : EVAP Emission Cont. LDP Circ Short to Ground

You are right about the last 4 codes, they all say electrical malfunction for the oxygen sensors.

If you didn't clear all the codes before scanning then you should first clear them, then go for a short ride or at least let the car idle for a while, and then do another scan. Those might have been old codes that don't show up anymore.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:54 AM
4th Gear

FYI, the battery is over 100 bucks too...

Old 05-18-2011, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

I did clear them the first day I went to look at it but did not scan it since. I drove it yesterday and went through everything I do not know why I did not scan the codes again. I did see the engine light was on and o2 sensors were not doing anything really. The guy said for 750 he would throw in a new batery. I started telling him what I found wrong with it and he just responded saying he could sell the motor for more then that and he really doesn't want to even think about it. He owns a scrap yard and a lady brought it in for scap Im guessing he prob gave her like 400-500 for the car and he is just looking to make a quick buck without spending the time of stripping it down. It does have a full good title no salvage title. Thanks

Last edited by sprinter10; 05-18-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:40 PM
1st Gear

Anyone have any Ideas on what could cause all 4 o2 sensors to not be reading? or the other sensors. Witch ones besides the o2 are needed for inspection. I really just would like to get it inspected. After that I will spend the time to fix the rest. I really just want to know how hard it will be to get it to pass inspection before I buy it for $750?