B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

New Forge K007 DV... No sound at all

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 05:04 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BaseDrifter
The proper orientation for an aftermarket piston style DV is to install it in the reverse of the OEM DV. So the bottom of the piston should be on the compressor side. The piston is held closed by the vacuum line being under boost when WOT. When the throttle plates close that boosted line holding the piston closed turns to vacuum and opens the valve.

So to install the Forge in reverse, it should be installed the same way as the OEM valve.

Hope that's not too confusing.
exactly...I installed it like the OEM valve! the piston is towards the turbo..so it pressures it with air..and gets it open... common sense (if you put it in reverse..it wouldn't work .....)

but I dont get any sound from it

Old 07-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Originally Posted by Gasketse
exactly...I installed it like the OEM valve! the piston is towards the turbo..so it pressures it with air..and gets it open... common sense (if you put it in reverse..it wouldn't work .....)

but I dont get any sound from it
I don't think you fully understand how the DV works.

When you are on the throttle building boost, the whole intake system is pressurized. When you get off the gas and close the throttle plates that pressurized air has to go somewhere. Without a DV that pressurized air pushes back against the still spinning turbo, causing compressor surge (a chattering or shuddering sound.) Long term this will lead to damage of the compressor and is less efficient to maintain boost levels after shifting.

The DV is a valve that should ONLY open when the throttle plates are closed and you are off the gas. The DV opening and closing is solely dependent on whether the engine is seeing vacuum or boost. When the engine is seeing boost the DV's piston is being held closed by the pressurized air, as soon as the throttle plates close and the engine sees vacuum it sucks the DV open allowing the pressurized air a route away from the compressor and back into the intake.

No matter which direction the (piston style) valve is installed, it will function.

Are you chipped or stock?

Old 07-30-2012, 05:28 PM
1st Gear

Stock atm.... so if I install the DV in reverse....the suction would suck the piston back... and let the pressure come out...... right?

and the right way would be the pressure to push the piston back...and let it out...

now I get it I guess....

so I should install it on the way that the piston will get sucked...right?

(thank you so much for all the time you spend on that threat....)

Old 07-30-2012, 05:48 PM

Stock atm.... so if I install the DV in reverse....the suction would suck the piston back... and let the pressure come out...... right?

and the right way would be the pressure to push the piston back...and let it out...

now I get it I guess....

so I should install it on the way that the piston will get sucked...right?

(thank you so much for all the time you spend on that threat....)
I don't mind explaining it, no worries. However...you are still missing the general point.

You have to separate the idea of the piston opening from the orientation of the DV. The piston in the DV will ALWAYS open when vacuum is applied, and will ALWAYS be closed when the engine is under boost. The orientation does not affect the basic function of the piston.

I feel like I should make a drawing to illustrate what I am trying to explain. Or maybe I am just failing at explaining it clearly.

But...imagine there is no DV, imagine that from the compressor outlet it goes straight to the TB. Now install a short hose going from the boosted side of the compressor outlet to the vacuum side at the compressor inlet. On that hose is where the DV sits and allows the air to be recirculated.

When you install a piston style DV, the proper orientation is to have the bowl of piston (if you take the 007 out and look at it, what I am describing will make more sense) on the boosted side of that little hose. When the valve is opened it will allow the air to move into the vacuum side of the compressor inlet.

Even if you install the DV in reverse, it will still function. Function is not dependent on orientation with a piston style DV.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:00 PM
1st Gear

actually I have the stock DV in front of me...and I remember that I installed my DV the same way as my stock was..... is that the right way..or not? (trying to keep it simple..)

Old 07-30-2012, 06:10 PM

actually I have the stock DV in front of me...and I remember that I installed my DV the same way as my stock was..... is that the right way..or not? (trying to keep it simple..)
That would be reversed. So if it is already reversed and you don't hear anything, you would hear less if you installed it in the proper orientation.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

lets connect the dots

gz for my drawing!

Old 07-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Administrator

You don't do technical drawings for a living or anything do you? lol

Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 PM
1st Gear

no! I am a captain on merchant ships

Old 07-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Administrator

no! I am a captain on merchant ships
That's awesome!

Maybe this diagram will help clear things up. The DV is numbered 19. If you follow the dotted line from the side of the diverter valve into the little port on the hose numbered 17, that's the pressurized air coming out of the turbo (not pictured, but it would be where the arrow labeled 15 is). The piston that Drifter was referring to would be oriented vertically in this picture inside the diverter valve. Reversing it would make that piston face the pressurized air instead of the way it's facing now. Make sense?

Quick Reply: New Forge K007 DV... No sound at all