B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Noob ECU Question, Look inside and enlighten me...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 AM
1st Gear
Default Noob ECU Question, Look inside and enlighten me...

This is probably going to sound stupid to most but I am wanting to make sure that I get this right and don't spend money that is going to be wasted. My current setup uses the AWE kit with the Giac PC16 upgrade. I am planning on running Maestro or "MAYBE" United motorsports 630cc file. What I am wanting to do is buy an extra ECU from Ebay so I can load my Maestro tune on (or UM if I so chose) and compare the results from the Maestro stage 1 and the Giac PC16 as well as be able to revert back if anything ever requires me to do so. I have read that the ECU is connected to the car and that it can immobilize it if the car does not understand it. Maybe I misunderstood the point which I can no longer locate; one of those late night computer R&D sessions.

Basically what I am asking is if there will be any issues in me buying an ECU from a like model and popping it in my car? Can I swap from ECU to ECU without issues? My car is 99.5 Audi A4 Quattro 5 speed engine code AEB.

Also what all ECU's will work for my car and is there any that is better then the other? My car is non DBW.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 AM

You need the ECU for your engine, look at the code on the top ofthe ECU. Manual or auto doenst matter as you can recode it later

Its a cool idea you have, and it will work, you can swap between ECUS if they will both work with the stuff in your car. AKA dont have the two ECUS set up for different injectors ect..

Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jonbonesjones
You need the ECU for your engine, look at the code on the top ofthe ECU. Manual or auto doenst matter as you can recode it later

Its a cool idea you have, and it will work, you can swap between ECUS if they will both work with the stuff in your car. AKA dont have the two ECUS set up for different injectors ect..
I bought one last night that has the exact same code as mine. I am guessing that once I get I should put it in and test it and once I am sure it is OK then I can buy the Maestro kit and go from there with it making my secondary the one attached to the car.

I have $hit ton questions about Maestro, who is the one to ask for the AEB? I have considered several other options but after thinking this out I feel like Maestro will allow me to test several different turbo setups instead being tied to one specific type of setup. I guess what I am saying is that Maestro will allow me to grow with the car instead of shelling out extra doe for new tunes everytime I change.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:20 AM
Legal Moderator

just get the ecu with the same code on the top. and this next part is important. install and test the ecu BEFORE you modify the car to ensure the ecu works properly. as for the foremost authority on aeb maestro, i'm not sure but theres a lengthy thread on the zine about it. i do know though that there arent a ton of base maps for the aeb's, and you cant go mafless. if you plan on changing injecotrs youll have to set the size yourself unless its one of the four sizes already installed.