B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Noobie a4 owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Default Noobie a4 owner

Well sold my car and got 2 cars, 1 for me and 1 for wifey, I got myself a 94 f150 and got the wife a 96 a4 v6. Did some research on them and the v6 from what I found is the least troublesome and def controllable by my wife. Picked it up for 3k with 150k miles on it, timing/waterpump/normal things done at 90k. Interior is in very good condition just minus the roof which needs some tlc or new fabric to be re attached and 2 of the interior panels that are at rear window, car was broken into and the thieves broke the 2 back panels and 1 speaker grill was destroyed. Car runs very good and strong but the clutch engages a far way out. Passenger front strut needs to be replaced since the things creaks like a ****, lol and last but not least the ignition once you start you have to turn back slighlty. All the previous work was done by audi of richmond va.

Plans for the car as of right now are to replace front strut so I can eliminate the creak. Attempt to find the rear panel pieces which is proven very very difficult at the moment then the speaker grills. Once I find the fabric locally for the headliner ill knock that out. After thats all pretty much done im gonna tackle the clutch and replace that with new oem clutch and flywheel. Lastly re-do the timing again since its at 150k and bout that time to do it. Ill post pics tomorrow when the sun comes up and im flat out exhausted right now. But wanted to say hi and let everyone know im a audi head now!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

congrats man! i just got my audi about a month ago too and love it. its def worth the money spend on maintainence because they are so much fun to drive. i also got the 2.8 manual. good luck!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:11 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like a decent deal on the v6. I drive an 01 v6 and the clutch engages really far out as well. I wonder if that's just a normal v6 thing to happen haha. I'm new too, I'm sure these guys can help you out with the paneling and the creakiness etc. Good luck with the car!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Marvidson
Sounds like a decent deal on the v6. I drive an 01 v6 and the clutch engages really far out as well. I wonder if that's just a normal v6 thing to happen haha. I'm new too, I'm sure these guys can help you out with the paneling and the creakiness etc. Good luck with the car!
ya im almost positive its the strut doing since its when you push up and down on it. The panels are really something i need to find since it looks like crap in the car. Wife loves it so now gotta make it better. lol if the clutch engages high on these then its something ill get used to but usually a clutch like that means its going but i may be wrong.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Audi clutches engage very high - it's normal. Put it in 5th at 30 and floor it. If it is gonna slip, that'll be when it happens. As for the creak, I'm gonna say it's more likely the control arms - they're notorious on A4s for going bad and creaking is a symptom. www.fcpgroton.com sells a good kit that's very affordable and works well. Try the search feature up top and read the new owner sticky post at the top of this forum for a wealth of info to get started right with your cars and welcome to AF

Old 07-26-2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Audi clutches engage very high - it's normal. Put it in 5th at 30 and floor it. If it is gonna slip, that'll be when it happens. As for the creak, I'm gonna say it's more likely the control arms - they're notorious on A4s for going bad and creaking is a symptom. www.fcpgroton.com sells a good kit that's very affordable and works well. Try the search feature up top and read the new owner sticky post at the top of this forum for a wealth of info to get started right with your cars and welcome to AF
lol its no joke with the creaking, when you get out its like a old **** haunted door closing. You can go right to the tire and press the car down and it creaks like crazy, assumed it was the strut since what owner told me. Should I just go ahead and buy the kit and replace them all, and ya still reading up on the noobie owner guide.

Last edited by devlzluv; 07-26-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:02 PM
2nd Gear

Welcome welcome

Old 07-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Site Moderator

Definitely replace all the control arms. Especially for the price FCPGrotan has them for. I just did them on my car. I would not want to do one or two arms and have to worry about tearing back into it again to do the ones that will surely fail soon after. If you plan on keeping the car for a while, and at 150k, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do the shocks while you're at it, as well. When I sold my 97 w/175k on it, the front shocks werent horrible, but there was plenty of room for improvement. The rears were totaly done, though.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 07-27-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
Definitely replace all the control arms. Especially for the price FCPGrotan has them for. I just did them on my car. I would not want to do one or two arms and have to worry about tearing back into it again to do the ones that will surely fail soon after. If you plan on keeping the car for a while, and at 150k, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do the shocks while you're at it, as well. When I sold my 97 w/175k on it, the front shocks werent horrible, but there was plenty of room for improvement. The rears were totaly done, though.
ya i may dig into those also then. what are some decent shocks, i dont need best since this is wifes dd so something affordable and decent that doesnt break the bank.

Last edited by devlzluv; 07-27-2010 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:35 AM

im just gonna go ahead and order the fcp control arm kit (315 one) and 2 of the front shocks (88 dollar one). Later in the month ill replace the rear and the bushings.

Quick Reply: Noobie a4 owner