B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

oil leak, still persists after seal & gasket replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

Okay, if it's all dry up top then forget about the black RTV and cam caps etc. Your leak is coming from lower down on the engine than the Valve Cover (Cam Cover). Oil pan? Turbo Oil line? You say you can see smoke so oil is getting on a hot exhaust part somewhere. Are you sure it's dry up around the valve cover area? Re-check.

Last edited by Huskerbob; 09-17-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:28 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
Okay, if it's all dry up top then forget about the black RTV and cam caps etc. Your leak is coming from lower down on the engine than the Valve Cover (Cam Cover). Oil pan? Turbo Oil line? You say you can see smoke so oil is getting on a hot exhaust part somewhere. Are you sure it's dry up around the valve cover area? Re-check.

When up on the left, it was clearly seen, coming from the front, under the engine. The VCG was dry as a bone. I'll reck myself but there is only so much i can see, being i don't have a lift. I can only check from the top.

I took a video with my digital camera, let me upload a few clips, so you guys can see for yourself. I didn't know why id didn't think of this earlier.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:38 PM
2nd Gear

If it is leaking from the front of the engine, I would start looking lower down. There is an oil seal that goes around the crankshaft. Take a look at the upper and lower oil pan and oil lines for the turbo.

There may not be a cam plug on the 1.8, but I thought that most of the 5v heads were essentially identical. Regardless, it's not the issue.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Do AWMs have an intermediate shaft seal? If not I would be looking at the crank seal. Nowhere else for oil to leak on the front of the motor.

My AEB does not have a cam plug, nor can I see why it would since the cams don't stick out the back of the head.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:57 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bshusted
If it is leaking from the front of the engine, I would start looking lower down. There is an oil seal that goes around the crankshaft. Take a look at the upper and lower oil pan and oil lines for the turbo.

There may not be a cam plug on the 1.8, but I thought that most of the 5v heads were essentially identical. Regardless, it's not the issue.

Alright, I'll point him in that, direction. I reviewed the clips and it was too dark to see the locations of the leak as i never pointed a light in the area to point out the leaks, being we both could see the leak, when i pointed it out to him.

The focus of the clips i took, where to chronicle the transmission and engine mounts,snub mount and serpentine belt tensioner that i replaced that day. chasing the oil leak, lower control arm boots and something hitting against the car, when i drive over bumps is next on the agenda.

I'll report back with our findings, asap.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:36 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by morpheous
Alright, I'll point him in that, direction. I reviewed the clips and it was too dark to see the locations of the leak as i never pointed a light in the area to point out the leaks, being we both could see the leak, when i pointed it out to him.

The focus of the clips i took, where to chronicle the transmission and engine mounts,snub mount and serpentine belt tensioner that i replaced that day. chasing the oil leak, lower control arm boots and something hitting against the car, when i drive over bumps is next on the agenda.

I'll report back with our findings, asap.
The first place to look for that thump would be subframe mounts. One of mine was partially loose and sort of slapped once in awhile. Make sure they are tight. Lots of moving parts under there. Upper control arms, sway bar links, shock mounts. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:55 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Huskerbob
The first place to look for that thump would be subframe mounts. One of mine was partially loose and sort of slapped once in awhile. Make sure they are tight. Lots of moving parts under there. Upper control arms, sway bar links, shock mounts. Good luck. Let us know what you find.

I'll let you guys know as soon as possible. Here are a few clips of him working on Audina and ******* with me filming him.