B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Paint Frustrations!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 03:09 AM
2nd Gear
Default Paint Frustrations!

Ugh, so I painted my grill surround and rings awhile back. They looked rad. Had them on for four days and got a rock chip in the surround. Took that off, repainted it and slapped it on and saw a new chip on the rings. It was discreet though so I thought nothing of it. Its been about a week now and I see a new chip on the surround! FUCKKK! I dont even drive highway very much and all my recent drives have been under 10 miles each. I'm starting to think its just the paint not bonding. I've painted my trunk rings, but they're chipped before I got them on. So I want to redo this right. Before I just sanded them really well and put about 3-4 coats of matte black on. Now I'm thinking primer, 4-5 coats of matte black and a matte clear coat. Any tips/suggestions? I want this **** to last.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:07 AM
4th Gear

idk... i didnt do primer or a clear coat and only did like 2 coats on my shiznit... its still in one piece.. minus the bug guts i have up front now... ******* bastards lol

Old 09-06-2009, 10:01 AM
3rd Gear

I read somewhere on the forums where a guy said that painting over the chrome surround and rings doesn't last too long because the paint doesn't stick well. I assume you did the proper prep work (sanding, cleaning throughly, etc.) Maybe try using a plastic adhesion promoter?

http://www.rwmallon.com/catalog.asp?...showprevnext=1

I'm sure at least one coat or two of clear would help matters as well.

I'll be doing this job this weekend, so I'm going to be overly **** about how the prep and painting is done.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:27 AM
2nd Gear

okay, I'll look for some of that. BTW the cans say start with a 320 grit but go lower. You want 150 or something. You gotta cut through a clear protective coating on the chrome in the front.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:12 PM
3rd Gear

really that low? damn......I'll take your word for it. Did it leave deep scratches or did the gradual process of higher grit sandpaper take care of that?

Old 09-06-2009, 06:19 PM
2nd Gear

No, the 150 made it look like brushed aluminum. If you're worried go to 220 and even higher, but I didn't.

That adhesive promoter smell bad! I think its poisonous lol. I sprayed in the garage cuz its really windy out, so I'm covering my airways with a t-shirt.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:21 PM
3rd Gear

which promoter did you go with? I'm ordering the paint from paintscratch.com and was probably going to pick up the matte clear and the promoter at the auto store. I hope they stock what I need.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:48 PM
3rd Gear

Damn....there doesn't seem to be a way of getting around ordering Krylon Matte Clear Coat online without shelling out $27 for 6 cans. I don't want to drive around creation this week or weekend trying to find paint. I guess I'll have to use basic clear coat instead.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Administrator

You really need to do good cleaning and sanding so the paint will stick correctly. Make sure you get the little corners too.

I painted mine over a year ago and the paint is still holding up well until this day. Mine wasn't even clear coated since I wanted the flat look.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:53 PM
1st Gear

If your not too worried about the up close and personal finish on the rings, IE touch/microscope inspection, look into clear spray on rubberizer, the ***** like armor for anything you wanna keep fairly nice. Used it on my friends custom interior and it's still all in one peice and looking fresh. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Paint Frustrations!