B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

parasitic battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 10:57 AM
1st Gear
Default parasitic battery drain

hi every one. yep i have a parasite. I can go into more details depending on the answer to my first question. Can a missing drivers door switch cause my B5 S4 to kick out of sleep mode, leading to a drained battery? I have already disconnected the door lamp in the door. TIA

Old 04-19-2016, 08:51 AM
2nd Gear

My door switch has a mind of it's own, but it doesn't seem to affect the battery.

My suggestion would be to put a DMM on the battery (with the car off) and start pulling fuses, one by one, until you find the fuse that eliminates the draw. Then you'll know what circuit is causing your drain and you can go from there.

You'll need someone to help (unless you want to run back and forth with each fuse pull), but that should work for you.

G/L

Old 04-19-2016, 12:12 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the help. I figured I would have to get my meter out, but wanted to rule out everything that might have an effect, that was easy( or as time consuming) to fix. I still ordered an new switch, it was ripped out when i was backing up with my door open. never knew car doors could fold the other way (insert curse word here!). BTW your switch was still connected, right? mine is missing. not sure if that leaves a circuit open or makes a difference.

It seems to be sleep(alarm) related. I locked my car without engaging the alarm last night and she fired right up in the AM. does this give you any other ideas? thanks again!

Old 04-19-2016, 01:46 PM
1st Gear

Somewhat easier than using a DMM and watching the numbers, is to disconnect either the positive or negative battery lead, and using jumper wires, insert an instrument bulb, or other low-wattage bulb between the cable end and battery post. That way you can just glance at the light after each fuse pull, to see if it's still on. If you suspect the alarm module, that should be under the rear seat. Try disconnecting it after you have the test bulb rigged up.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by turbo510
Somewhat easier than using a DMM and watching the numbers, is to disconnect either the positive or negative battery lead, and using jumper wires, insert an instrument bulb, or other low-wattage bulb between the cable end and battery post. That way you can just glance at the light after each fuse pull, to see if it's still on. If you suspect the alarm module, that should be under the rear seat. Try disconnecting it after you have the test bulb rigged up.
Thanks I'll try that next..wouldn't i have to activate the alarm for the module to pull amps? or can i test the module for continuity? thanks again.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:51 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Dougald
thanks for the help. I figured I would have to get my meter out, but wanted to rule out everything that might have an effect, that was easy( or as time consuming) to fix. I still ordered an new switch, it was ripped out when i was backing up with my door open. never knew car doors could fold the other way (insert curse word here!). BTW your switch was still connected, right? mine is missing. not sure if that leaves a circuit open or makes a difference.

It seems to be sleep(alarm) related. I locked my car without engaging the alarm last night and she fired right up in the AM. does this give you any other ideas? thanks again!
To be quite honest: I still haven't even bothered to find out where my door switch is, so I couldn't tell you, but anything electrical (which our switches are) use an electrical circuit, so theoretically, yes: you're probably right. It will either have a negative trigger, or a positive, which (i assume) would determine if it would matter or not.

(See below for the rest of my answer)

Originally Posted by turbo510
Originally Posted by Dougald
Thanks I'll try that next..wouldn't i have to activate the alarm for the module to pull amps? or can i test the module for continuity? thanks again.
I think turbo 510 may have misinterpreted your post a little bit (or most likely just wasn't specific enough).

If you think the alarm may be draining the battery while it's armed, then you can arm the security system while you (or someone else) is in the back seat. Check the battery to make sure you still have your draw. If you do still have a draw, have the person in the back kill the power to the security system while you watch to see if it instantly kills the draw as well.

That (I believe) would be the quickest way to check the security system.

LMK how it goes.

G/L

Old 05-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Administrator

^^^ agreed. When the alarm is active it absolutely will have some draw although it should be in the milliamp range. That's expected. What you're concerned with is if it's drawing current with the alarm system deactivated.