B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

performance done to my 00 a4 2.8

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 12:49 PM
1st Gear
Default performance done to my 00 a4 2.8

i have went from a stock 2.8 i started with a k&n cold air intake added about 10 horse then cut the resanator out of the exhaust and put a magnaflow muffler on it it added quite abit of hourse power and more response and then i just sent me chip out to speed tuning and they put a stage 2 chip in that and it made a rediclouis diffrence it changed the reve limit and the tourq is alot better they said it added about 25-35 more hourse power. its a pretty fast car now for a 2.8 if anyone has any other suggestion let me know please im always looking to make my car go faster.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Site Moderator

You didn't get 10hp from an intake. Possibly a few hp at redline, but thats it. Don't believe advertised hp claims without seeing a dyno sheet. ESPECIALLY w/intakes. 10 hp is best case scenario probably used on a giant N/A motor. Losing the resonator probably did little to nothing. It's not restrictive. I'm sure the speed tuning chip helped out though. We are working on a 2.8 dedicated sticky, but there honestly arent many go fast mods and affordable power upgrades for the 2.8. You could SC it! Or NOS. Read the mods & maint. sticky for the time being.

Last edited by onepoint8tee; 08-09-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:02 PM
4th Gear

SUPERCHARGE IT!

Old 08-09-2008, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Seconded. Dyno testing has even shown that the intake and exhaust mods do very little for the 2.8 power-wise. The ***-dyno probably feels quicker but a lot of that has to do with the perception of speed due to the sound. The chip, according to the 2.8 people who've done it, definitely adds to the power. Most likely it's about 6-8hp peak gain (typical for a V6, naturally aspirated, around this size), but your midrange gain is likely more than that (again, that's where most people see the most difference, and where I'd want the power). I wouldn't care if I gained 20hp at 6500 RPM - I don't rev my car that high. But if I can gain 15-20 lbs of torque at 4k or so, that's great, useable power.

As onepoint8tee said, if you want power, get the PES supercharger. Just save your money for awhile - it's about five grand. You also can use nitrous - from what I've read here over time, the 2.8 in good running condition and with good compression and valve seating, can handle a 75-hp shot. Might want to run a 50-shot just to keep a little safety wiggle room in case an injector hiccuped once or twice under the spray, but you can definitely use giggle gas on these engines.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:30 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by christian a4
i have went from a stock 2.8 i started with a k&n cold air intake added about 10 horse then cut the resanator out of the exhaust and put a magnaflow muffler on it it added quite abit of hourse power and more response and then i just sent me chip out to speed tuning and they put a stage 2 chip in that and it made a rediclouis diffrence it changed the reve limit and the tourq is alot better they said it added about 25-35 more hourse power. its a pretty fast car now for a 2.8 if anyone has any other suggestion let me know please im always looking to make my car go faster.
Fail- horrible grammar, terribly misinformed

Originally Posted by acetrebo
SUPERCHARGE IT!

Epic fail- I hope no one tries to install a JR RSX s/c on their 2.8!

On a side note: its been proven that w/o a proper heatshield the A4's LOSE hp with an intake. Stock box with high flow pane filter ftw. Our "intakes" are just for aesthetics and cool sound. That chip only messes with the rpm's so its impossible to gain over 10hp in a 27xx CC engine. Look around for a used PES. They can go for cheap if you find the right one.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:33 PM

The stock intake, even on 1.8T cars, has shown to be sufficient even upwards the 400hp range. It's very efficient; swapping it out for aftermarket parts does little or nothing for HP gains. Even less so in a NA car Same with the exhaust, if you just cut the resonator out and put a new muffler in instead of getting a new exhaust system altogether, it's not a gain of power as much as it is sound.

I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but 2.8s are hard to mod. They don't have any scoot unless you supercharge them; and, if you've got $5k for a kit, I'd honestly just sell the 2.8, pick up a 1.8T, then dump the $5K in that for a big-motherfucking-turbo kit. Your potential for power in a 1.8T is ENORMOUS if you've got $5k to spend on it.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:51 PM
4th Gear

I did not say "use this supercharger for your audi"
Picture was meerly to generate excitement and give a visual representation of what a supercharger looks like.

Anyway, thats the only way to get significant gains on a 2.8.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

well i just did an air intake and it did give me a quite knodiceable amount of power without a heat shield, when i parked the car after a drive the tube got really Hot! so i made a custom heat shield, added some insulation to keep it cool, i have like a little box around it and scince the AC line runs right next to the CAI it's a pretty good pwerformance add on!, sorry for the thread jack but check it out:
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...g?t=1218305266
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...g?t=1218305014

And like everyone said! SUPERCHARGE IT!

Old 08-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by euro_2nr
Fail- horrible grammar, terribly misinformed
Easy, turbo. If everyone got critiqued on grammar, this would be a terrible place to hang out. Misinformed for sure, but not terribly.

Epic fail- I hope no one tries to install a JR RSX s/c on their 2.8!
Nice to see you know SC's, but come on man, he posted the pic to get a simple point accross. No reason to get sassy.

On a side note: its been proven that w/o a proper heatshield the A4's LOSE hp with an intake. Stock box with high flow pane filter ftw.
Agreed

That chip only messes with the rpm's so its impossible to gain over 10hp in a 27xx CC engine.
Not only does it "mess" with the rpm's, it also provides more timing and and slightly changes fuel maping. Not like w/1.8T, but still, 10hp is easily achievable by tweaking timing/fuel.
Look around for a used PES. They can go for cheap if you find the right one.
Agree

Old 08-09-2008, 04:31 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah, I'm a lil edgy today. Sorry guys. I've been reading a lot of posts lately bout 2.8/3.0 guys that want to squeeze every bit of HP out of their V6 as possible. Well, the S/C is the def. the way to go. A used one wouldn't be so bad because with those machines as long as they're lubed properly they can go for a very long time.

Quick Reply: performance done to my 00 a4 2.8