B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Power Windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 11:11 PM
1st Gear
Default Power Windows

Ok I know this is not a new issue but have search all posts I can find and this seems to be a new one. All windows (That have working regulators) work when the key is held in the open or closed postion from the key in the drivers or passenger door. However non of the swithes work from the interior of the car for any windows or the sun roof. The lights on the door switches do not seem to illuminate when the headlights are on so maybe it is an issue with the power system. Some formums refer to the central locking pump as an issue with the circuit however I do hear a chirp when locking the doors from outside the car which indicates the circuit board is work (In Some Forums). This is a new to me car 98 A4 B5 and the key is missing the guts for the keyless entry. Please offer ideas to try as nothing seems to match what I have spent hours reading.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:48 AM
2nd Gear

check the wiring in the driver's door, central locking pump, relay for locking pump....central comfort fuses etc...

Last edited by markymarc; 12-26-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:57 PM
1st Gear

Checked all fuses and replaced with standard fuses to see if they would blow out........nothing changed. Locked the doors from outside and listened for chirp from central locking unit. It sounded and understand that as testing the circuit for central locking unit. Also inspected the circuit board for bad solder joints. Traced small red wire with white stripe (The one in the drivers door that splits to all the switches) through the door jam and multimeter shows a good wire. This wire does travel back to the central locking unit as well in the trunk. I have not been able to find the comfort unit on the 98 A4 base model as I have looked under the carpet around the drivers seat area and also throughout the trunk area and only came up with the central locking unit. Open for more ideas please.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:23 PM
2nd Gear

my mistake, B5s done have a CCM...only the Central locking unit...they symptoms you are describing are for the central locking unit or the pump. I understand you checked it and looked at it, but that's as far as I can go. I've had the main switch in the driver's door go bad from rain, water etc always dripping on the switch...But looking at the link below, it could be the pump in the module itself...Here's a link for you (you've probably already found it):

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/b5-...-179871/page2/

Old 12-27-2013, 02:30 AM
1st Gear

Have you taken the door panel off the driver's side door and confirmed that all the plugs are plugged in to the window switch? There are 4 plugs total; 1 for each door.

Doug.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:36 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like you can't even run the drivers window from the drivers door switch. And since you can run the windows with locking and unlocking with a key, i don't think its the central locking module.

On my 99.5, the dash lights, window switch lights and sunroof switch lights come on with the key. Don't need headlights. So I tend to think you have a power issue. I'm on the road so don't have my laptop with Bentley on it (don't care what anyone says, these iPads are very limited) or I'd look it up.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:44 AM
2nd Gear

Here's the wiring diagram for the windows, sunroof and the lockout switch on the doors for the B5s. Hope this helps a little.

Attached Thumbnails Power Windows-1.jpg   Power Windows-2.jpg   Power Windows-3.jpg   Power Windows-4.jpg   Power Windows-5.jpg  

Old 12-30-2013, 02:40 AM
1st Gear

SAME EXACT PROBLEM! Lol it feels good to not be alone

Old 12-30-2013, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

I would look at your door switches. I know you can't roll the windows down or up without them plugged in, so maybe they're bad.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:39 AM
1st Gear

I don't think all 4 of them could go back or simply drop out at the same time

Quick Reply: Power Windows