Radio dead after jump start - AudiForums.com

B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Old 02-24-2011, 11:51 AM
1st Gear

Default Radio dead after jump start

Had a crap battery in the car and it wouldnt start after sitting overnight, so I jumped so I could buy a new one. Jumped it after 5 min of trying. Headlights blew (the bulbs themselves it appears, fuses are fine) the highbeams work, and now the radio does Not power on either, the fuse is good.
So my main question, is there another in-line or seperate fuse for the radio? Did it get cooked somehow? Im thinking there was a short in the battery (crap battery was in there since Saturday) and jumping it with the charger, it blew some **** up (like the headlights)

Thanks in advance!
Brian
Old 03-19-2011, 12:17 PM
1st Gear

Default Radio dead after alternator replaced

I have a similar issue with my 97 A6. After replacing the alternator, the radio won't turn on. It doesn't seem to get any power at all. I don't even get the "safe" screen. All of the fuses I can access in the dash and under the hood are fine.

I'm guessing there has to be a fuse on the head unit itself. I'm going to try pulling out the radio and checking on the back side.

If anyone else has any insight or tips for this, please reply.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:43 PM
2nd Gear

Yes,there is a fuse on the headunit itself,which is more than likely your issue,replace and bump on!
Old 03-25-2011, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

Default Back in action

Sure enough, after I got the head unit out, on the back left side there was a 5 amp fuse. I removed it and put in a fresh one and the radio turned on just fine.

Of course it was in safe mode, and I don't know the code, so I called Audi with the VIN and the radio serial number and they found it for me in 5 minutes. Now I have music again in my A6.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:14 PM
2nd Gear

Glad to see that your back in action,did you find out why you couldn't jump your battery?