B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Reliable place to order new key and remote?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:56 AM
1st Gear
Question Reliable place to order new key and remote?

I need a second key cut and a 2 button remote for my 1999 A4 V6 Quattro.
There is a lot of ads for them but who knows which ones are good or bad?

I need advice if any one knows a good on-line place.

Thanks

Old 01-16-2012, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by malanick
I need a second key cut and a 2 button remote for my 1999 A4 V6 Quattro.
There is a lot of ads for them but who knows which ones are good or bad?

I need advice if any one knows a good on-line place.

Thanks
You can get a key cut at the dealer for very cheap (less that 50, so you know it will work)

I have the lower fob portion for sale. Pull apart your current key fob and check your FCC ID number. If it matches, I've got one in decent shape.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

I was helped quite a bit by others in this forum and now it's my turn.

I picked up an uncut key fob off eBay and had a Volkswagen dealer cut the key. You need to make sure that the uncut portion of the key is either OEM or similar because the cheaper made uncut keys will break the key machine (this happened to my local Audi dealership). Then the Audi dealer needs to program your key fob to your car. Funny thing is that the new key shouldn't be able to start your car but mine did. The key cut cost $20. Not sure how much the programming will cost.

Good luck!

CJ

Old 01-16-2012, 08:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Cj3209
Then the Audi dealer needs to program your key fob to your car. Funny thing is that the new key shouldn't be able to start your car but mine did. The key cut cost $20. Not sure how much the programming will cost.

Good luck!

CJ
Ok, let me add to what I wrote. I'm not sure if Audi needs to re-program your new key fob. The VW guy thought there was some kind of immobilizer that would prevent my car from starting but it started. I just reprogrammed my new key (taken from Audizine.com):

You'll need two keys.
1) Open the driver door, turn the ignition switch to on, but do not start the car.
2) Close and lock the driver door with the other key (this should be the proper key and not just the valet key - I used the valet key first and wondered why the programming didn't work).
3) Hold down both buttons on the fob for about 5 seconds. The lights should flash and the alarm horn may honk.
4) Turn key to unlock the door. Take out key and open the door.
4) Remove the key from the ignition and put in new key and turn ignition switch to ON. Take out key, Close and lock the door with the key.

Voila. The key should now be programmed!,

Good luck!,

CJ

Old 01-17-2012, 08:37 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Cj3209
Ok, let me add to what I wrote. I'm not sure if Audi needs to re-program your new key fob. The VW guy thought there was some kind of immobilizer that would prevent my car from starting but it started. I just reprogrammed my new key (taken from Audizine.com):

You'll need two keys.
1) Open the driver door, turn the ignition switch to on, but do not start the car.
2) Close and lock the driver door with the other key (this should be the proper key and not just the valet key - I used the valet key first and wondered why the programming didn't work).
3) Hold down both buttons on the fob for about 5 seconds. The lights should flash and the alarm horn may honk.
4) Turn key to unlock the door. Take out key and open the door.
4) Remove the key from the ignition and put in new key and turn ignition switch to ON. Take out key, Close and lock the door with the key.

Voila. The key should now be programmed!,

Good luck!,

CJ
If that doesn't work, put the key in your trunk lock rather than drives side door lock (I know weird) and follow the programming instructions that way.

You'll have to be lucky to get a dealer to cut it. All 3 vw dealers wanted nothing to do with my Audi Key, and even more so when I asked to have my blank cut. If you can get them to do it though, you'll save a fistful of dollars.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:54 AM
1st Gear

You might want to avoid the VW service rep and go directly to the parts guy. The service rep didn't even know they had a key cutter!

Old 01-18-2012, 06:43 AM
1st Gear

When our one key started to break for our A4, I initially checked with the local Audi dealer. They quoted $275 to order a key, laser-cutting (it's actually just machining) and programming with the car. The quote was $275 for 1 key but would discount the second key at $250. So $525 for the pair. (wow)

I checked with my buddy and Audi fixer dude. He said that eBay has loads of them for cheap. I ordered two replacement blanks over the internet (a car key supplier who advertised on eBay). I told the supplier my year, make, model and he sent me two remotes for $27 each plus $5 for shipping. Got them 3 days later. After calling around to several places trying to find someone who could do it -- for a reasonable fee (some places quoted $170 per key), I was referred to the VW shop. These guys cut both keys for $30 total. ($20 for the first one, $10 for each one after).

My Audi fix-it friend did the programming. I took him literally 30 seconds per key. No charge

Last edited by tunaoue; 01-18-2012 at 06:46 AM. Reason: add last sentence
Old 02-20-2013, 10:46 AM
1st Gear
Default new fob and key for audi a4 2004

hi guys i waondering if anyone could help i went to the audi garage yesterday in preston farm to enquire about getting a second key as i only have one and they quoted 200 notes and would take 2 weeks to code i tohught this was a bit steep and walked away could anyone point me in the right direction as i have heard of some bad stories about ordering online any help would be gratefull

Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 AM
2nd Gear

I've heard a lot about getting keys cut. FIND a local AUTO LOCKSMITH that does it for you and get a decent key off of ebay. The local guy is WAY cheaper than the dealer and the keys GENERALLY work if he's a good locksmith and you can generally BARTER with them...again, as stated above, try and get a decent key off ebay.....

As far as remotes, you can program them yourself....so you can buy them used or new off online sites.....just make sure the FCC ID matches....I've done it many times and it isn't that hard and there are tons of DIYs on many audi forums.....

Before you do all that, MAKE sure you have the ORIGINAL key, not the VALET key. If your key opens the trunk, then you have an ORIGINAL key...if it doesn't all you have is a VALET key and the key you cut will ONLY be a valet key.....AND YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO PROGRAM a NEW KEY FOB with the VALET key...I have tried on my 98 and 97 with the VALET key and it only works with the main, original KEY.....just my .02

Old 02-22-2013, 09:56 AM
1st Gear
Default key cut

hi and thanks for the reply i went to the boro town centre today and popped into a local key cutter he said he could cut me a key for 5 notes so i just need to order a blank key and fob of ebay but he said he doesnt program them is it possible to swap the inners of my fob and transfer in to the new one and does the fob im getting of ebay have to be exactly the same or could i order a newer looking fob sorry for being a pain but really dont know what to do lol ohh and yes the key i have opens the boot and glovebox hope this helps what is fcc id and how do i get the information to see if it is the right key many thanks aidy76

Last edited by aidy76; 02-22-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Reliable place to order new key and remote?