B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Replacement of Catalytic Converters

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 08:31 PM
1st Gear
Default Replacement of Catalytic Converters

Hello,

Two different shops took a look at my car because my check engine light has been and they said that my catalytic converters need replacement. I drive a 2000 Audi A4 Quattro with the V6 engine. To be more specific, they said the two catalytic converters on the top that come out of the manifold are the ones needing replacement. Since I am not a car nor an audi engine expert, I wasn't exactly sure what they were talking about. One shop showed me the converters that need replacement through his ordering system and it came out to $2000 to order two converters!

I am trying to look online to see what I can buy to replace my converters but I am not exactly sure what I am looking for and if its the right replacement part. Nor do I know how much labor will be. Would you guys be able to link me to some web pages that show the cheapest replacement I can get?

Many thanks!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Your car only has two catalytic converters. The quote you got sounds like it was for OEM parts plus labor. Where do you live? If there are no emissions inspections where you live, I'd pick up some O2 sensor spacers and call it a day. If you need emissions inspection in your state, I'd say go to an exhaust shop and have them weld up some universal cats before I'd pay $2k for OEM cats

Old 11-07-2012, 11:14 PM
1st Gear

I live in Chicago and the reason I am consulting about new converters is because I am required to do an emission test by the end of the year.

The exhaust shop I went to quoted me the OEM parts for 2k and I would use some universal converters but 1) Not sure which ones to choose and 2) Would it take care of the check engine and emission issue?

Old 11-08-2012, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Yes, it would. I would try to find a shop that does custom exhaust and get a quote for universal cats. Something like this would work for you, but you'd need somebody to do the welding.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

I don't understand the difference in pricing. That converter is $67 while the OEM pipe and converters I am looking at are $1,000. What makes up the difference?

Old 11-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Administrator

The OEM cats are OEM, they're German, and they're direct fit. That all = $$$$. That means you can simply unbolt the old ones and bolt in the new ones. The universal fit cats are just that, universal. Meaning they aren't designed to fit specifically on one car or another. You would need to buy two of those, take them to an exhaust shop, and have them cut/bend/weld any necessary pipes/bungs to make those work.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:26 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Shadowlink
Hello,

Two different shops took a look at my car because my check engine light has been and they said that my catalytic converters need replacement. I drive a 2000 Audi A4 Quattro with the V6 engine. To be more specific, they said the two catalytic converters on the top that come out of the manifold are the ones needing replacement. Since I am not a car nor an audi engine expert, I wasn't exactly sure what they were talking about. One shop showed me the converters that need replacement through his ordering system and it came out to $2000 to order two converters!

I am trying to look online to see what I can buy to replace my converters but I am not exactly sure what I am looking for and if its the right replacement part. Nor do I know how much labor will be. Would you guys be able to link me to some web pages that show the cheapest replacement I can get?

Many thanks!
my dad got his for $150 bolt it on and we call it a day . god shops rip ppl off am in the wrong career with those prices i might start doing the same lol.