B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Replacing 6 disc CD with USB Stick MP3 player

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 04:04 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

The hands free calling works well.

The Dension connects to my iphone via bluetooth automatically when I am in the car, calls are received and audio is sent to the stereo speakers (music is muted) during the call.

The microphone seems to work best on the drivers side A pillar - I have it clipped to the back side of the main seal and hid the wire by tucking it under the edge of the trim (it was not necessary to remove anything to put it here)

I like the USB option for music

I use one of the very small Sony Microvault 8GB drives. I set it up with 4 root folders called CD1, CD2, CD3 and CD4 ................ I can put whatever I want into these folders (including subfolders) and each one will correspond to the first 4 buttons on the Concert radio, the CD5 button will play all the mp3 tracks on the memory stick. If the RAND button is active tracks are shuffled - at first I didn't think this was working but then I noticed that the radio still displays TR01 TR02 TR03 but it is playing the music randomly.
So if CD1 is selected with RAND button on it will shuffle all music in folder CD1 (same for CD2 CD3 and CD4) if CD5 is selected with the RAND button on it will shuffle all the music on the entire memory stick.

The CD 6 button is only used with an ipod connected to switch between control from the radio or control from the buttons on the ipod.

I like the Dension lite ...... if you don't want the GBL3AU2 with bluetooth option you could get the non bluetooth GWL3AU2 ..... but I think it is a nice extra for just a few dollars more.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:45 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by britpoptwo
Hi

The CD disc player in the trunk of my 2.8 1999.5 A4 B5 (purchased from new in 1999) is giving me more and more no disc errors etc and is in need of retirement

The car was being used by my wife for the last 5 to 6 years and she didn't use it very often - I am now using it as a daily driver now she has a new A5 (yeah - you know how that goes)

Anyway ..... I have been researching all the different options for mp3 music players, Dice, Yatour, Dension, Blitzsafe, Grom etc for over a week now.

My first thought was that all I wanted was a simple box that would plug into the 13 pin connector in the trunk (unplug the Disc Unit) and provide me with selection on the DISC1 through DISC6 on the Concert One head unit of MP3 files in 6 Fat32 folders on a USB memory stick.

Well of course this seems to be the only option that is not out there!

The Yatour USB seems to be the nearest but plugs into the back of the Concert radio (as most of the others do) .......
the Blitzsafe does plug into the 13 pin in the trunk BUT then requires a 3.5mm input jack cable to be run back to the front of the car so that the ipod can be used to select tracks etc .... it is really just a remote AUX socket.

I like the sound of the latest Dension Gateway Lite 3 ..... GLW3AU2 is the model for Audi A4 1998-2006 with Concert 1 radio. BUT they have a strange way of organizing the music without using all 6 disc buttons - I believe some are used to call up an ipod if connected. Probably a good thing to have the extra option of using an ipod or a USB stick?

The Yatour is much cheaper and just uses 6 folders on the memory stick for DISC1 through DISC6 ..... but is it any good? (made in China)

I know that this subject keeps cropping up - but the units specifications change so quickly it is difficult to keep up on what adaptors are working well and which ones to avoid

Any thoughts, comments or experiences you guys could share would be great.

Please don't suggest that I just buy a used Phatbox on ebay
I bought my Yatour USB Audi adapter about a year ago and it's still going strong.
It's cheaper than Dension but the quality is very good in my opinion.

I live in Holland so I bought mine here www.carinterface.nl/audi
But for those of you who are looking for it you can google for ''Yatour usb adapter'' and you can find english sites that sell it.