B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

single din to double din conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 07:48 PM
vgo
2nd Gear

i have all the photos to do a DIY for a conversion. But its only for the partial face lift

Old 05-02-2011, 08:00 AM
1st Gear

I have the pre facelift dual LCD hvac

Old 05-02-2011, 08:16 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by master12891
I have the pre facelift dual LCD hvac
youll need the new one be sure to get the one with the trim and little temp vent on it.

Youll need the
center console trim
radio cage
shifter cover
radio trim and hazard switch trim along with the fog buttons and hazard relay

The Center console cage ObnoxiousDrunk posted is also a good deal id snag it up

Old 05-02-2011, 08:30 AM
2nd Gear

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...onsole&_sacat=

theres 3 things on that page you can use for real cheap if it helps

Old 05-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Administrator

If it requires the shifter plate then you need the center console too - the pre-facelift cars don't have a removable plate around the shifter - that part is all one piece including the console around the stereo and HVAC controls.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:03 AM
2nd Gear

correct you need the center console trim and the centerconsole i cant find the exact write up but it shows every piece of pre partial and full facelift it was so helpful. but center console is needed

Old 05-03-2011, 07:56 AM
1st Gear

I found that one the only thing is wirring the fog lights

Old 03-07-2013, 09:07 AM
1st Gear
Default Upgrade for '96 also...

Helo everybody,
I know it's been almost 2 years since anybody wrote anything here. Anyway I hope people are still visiting and reading this thread .
I have an Audi A4 B5 1.9 TDI AFN '96. I am interested in doing the facelift central console upgrade. I red this thread
and also this one:

DIY B5 A4 Center Console facelift upgrade
and many others, but not so well documented.

From what I red I understood that the upgrade is extremely hard if not impossible for '96 cars, an is almost plug & play for the '97 and newer ones.
But I have the following question: Audi built cars with a one-year-cycle. This means: one type of car (A4 in our case I''m not sure if other models too) was built for a year, than they made some changes and again after a year also made some changes and so on. Theese changes are known as non-facelift to pre-facelift, pre-facelift to facelift, and even from facelift to full facelift (somewhere red about that too). But the interesting thing is that the year cycle didn't start in January but in June, and lasted till the next year in June.
So to conclude: My car is built in October 1996, and I was wondering, doesn't that mean that my car althow built in '96 is valid for the central console upgrade described as only possible for '97 built cars?

This question came up when I wanted to change my entire brake system with brand new parts (no tunning or anything), an I ordered '96 A4 B5 parts. And my mechanic was very surprised to see that they didnt fit. So he ordered '97 parts, and surprise: They fitted perfectly.

I would very much appreciate anyone's reply since I would like to start searching for part codes, in order to purchase the correct items and start doing this upgrade.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

Not sure of the manufacturing date of my car but I am wanting to do this same thing!

Old 05-13-2013, 10:49 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Cy_Russ
Helo everybody,
I know it's been almost 2 years since anybody wrote anything here. Anyway I hope people are still visiting and reading this thread .
I have an Audi A4 B5 1.9 TDI AFN '96. I am interested in doing the facelift central console upgrade. I red this thread
and also this one:

DIY B5 A4 Center Console facelift upgrade
and many others, but not so well documented.

From what I red I understood that the upgrade is extremely hard if not impossible for '96 cars, an is almost plug & play for the '97 and newer ones.
But I have the following question: Audi built cars with a one-year-cycle. This means: one type of car (A4 in our case I''m not sure if other models too) was built for a year, than they made some changes and again after a year also made some changes and so on. Theese changes are known as non-facelift to pre-facelift, pre-facelift to facelift, and even from facelift to full facelift (somewhere red about that too). But the interesting thing is that the year cycle didn't start in January but in June, and lasted till the next year in June.
So to conclude: My car is built in October 1996, and I was wondering, doesn't that mean that my car althow built in '96 is valid for the central console upgrade described as only possible for '97 built cars?

This question came up when I wanted to change my entire brake system with brand new parts (no tunning or anything), an I ordered '96 A4 B5 parts. And my mechanic was very surprised to see that they didnt fit. So he ordered '97 parts, and surprise: They fitted perfectly.

I would very much appreciate anyone's reply since I would like to start searching for part codes, in order to purchase the correct items and start doing this upgrade.
Nothing is impossible

We're doing this right now in my brothers car and all that really has to be done is wiring. I'm guessing its a little more intensive for 97 and especially 96 and thats why he hasnt touched on it.

Unfortunately I cant really touch on what else needs to be wired, but I do have almost all the parts for sale for relatively cheap compared to others if you're interested.

VWVortex.com - Facelift Double din center console