B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Specific Shock/Spring Question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:45 PM
1st Gear
Default Specific Shock/Spring Question.

Hey guys,

Id like to start off by giving props to this forum. Its been a great help. I just have a specific question that i need to know the answer to because i want to take a step twards wheels/droping my car by the spring.

I know that the general saying is either go coilover, or new shock/spring combo, but as it stands right now, im going to probally take advantage of that great holiday RS4 Rep. wheel sale from alloysrus but yet do not have the $$$ for an all out suspention set up. And the wheels sitting in my house and not on the car for a few months is gonna kill me. That being said i dont want to "wait and save up". [down]

What exactly will happen if i use upgraded aftermarket sport springs on the stock shocks and they 'blow out' or 'fail'? Will the car slowly leak the shock oil and one side of my car will dip a little? Will it be an acutal explotion that causes dammage? Or will i just wake up one morning to a car that looks like an invisable fat man is sitting on one end of my car?

I want to know exaclty what will happen if this occurs. If you tell me the shock is going to explode and shoot threw and blow a hole in my fender and slam the frame against the road, obviously i will further question my options.

Thanks guys, sorry this was long but hey

Old 12-09-2008, 09:07 PM
3rd Gear

Nothing spectacular will happen but the car will become somewhat uncontrollable slowly but surely. The springs control level the shocks control bouncing. Also your shocks are filled w/ gas not oil. When a shock goes out your car will start bouncing when you go over bumps and when there like really bad the car will start to wander. I think w/ your average drop sport shocks should be alright for a little while but I haven't got an answer from anyone about that. My idea is that the shock is built to compress and decompress all the springs are doing is changing where it happens at on the shock and possibly shortening the movement. Someone come and correct me and tell me why I am a dumbass.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:34 PM

haha no you're not a dumbass you are correct. your shocks dont control ride height at all they just control how bouncing and springy your handling is. your stock shocks will be okay for maybe a month or so maybe longer if you're lucky and dont drive down to many bumpy roads. now im not going to tell you to wait because i hate waiting myself, but i am going to tell you as soon as possible get upgraded shocks. if you can wait i totally suggest the bilstein/h&r sport spring and shock combo. depending on where you get it, it costs about 750$ for both fronts and rear which is a really good price. coilovers are super awesome and everything but unless you're doing some hardcore tracking or autoXs then id stick with just a spring/shock combo and save the money for something else later down the road

Old 12-09-2008, 11:53 PM
5th Gear

wut what happen is you'll think you're driving around on ice. like somebody said you'll start wandering. then you'll think you have weird alignment, because you won't think that your shocks are bad yet and you def won't take them out to check because getting an alignment is faster and you won't get your hands dirty. lol, that's from an engineering point of view. waiting is all anybody can do, otherwise pick up a second job lol. your g2 looks a little bit further down the down than it was doesn't it hehehe.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:02 AM
1st Gear

hiwords are you drunk dude? read your post. lol

well thanks for the info guys.