B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Strange problem....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 03:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Strange problem....

I own a 98 audi a4 1.8tqa... K04 upgrade all around except chip n injectors. Now i havent drivin the car for months cuz of it being in limp mode. Found the problem n fixed it, i went to start it last week n it started right up perfect n the PRND432 lit up n just the P was lit up( before all were lit up with the box around them)(limp mode). I had t on for 20 mins n all was good. Then i turned it off to put my front seat it to take it for a test drive n wen i started it up it started but misfired or something n stalled out within a few secs... Now it cranks cranks cranks like it want to start but cant. Now i always research before asking for help n im stuck.. So hers wat if done, i try to start the car and i dont hear the fuel pump come on but the the fuse is good n the fuel pump relay clicks BUT wen i rig the relay the pump turns on i hear it n i see my fuel line in my engine twitch everytime i push the realy contacts together. N its an afpr n i have a gauge. I havent checked for spark doing tht today.o and i took the ecu out blu in it and i tryed to start n it was just about to start then it went to its crank crank crank, I checked for codes and i used an obd2 scanner n all it showed was p1559 manufacter specific p1613 manufacter specific thts it.. I now wat they r but everyone is drivig there cars with thise codes still on, its not prefenting it them from startig up. N im getting the fuel puml today or tomorrow. But if it could be anything else i would greatly apreciate it, im srry so long just want u guys to know everythig i know thanks

Old 11-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Legal Moderator

cant help much with the diagnosis of your car but i can help with learning you the English. please please please spell words out. "N" is not an acceptable contraction for and. im not trying to rag on you but it helps greatly when trying to read your post. i gave up less than halfway through which is why im guessing i cant help much

Old 11-16-2011, 04:14 AM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by a4turboaudi23
I own a 98 Audi A4 1.8TQA... K04 upgrade all around except chip and injectors. Now I haven't driven the car for months because of it being in limp mode. Found the problem and fixed it, I went to start it last week and it started right up perfect, the PRND432 lit up, and just the P was lit up( before all were lit up with the box around them)(limp mode). I had it on for 20 mins and all was good. Then I turned it off to put my front seat in to take it for a test drive and when I started it up, it started but misfired or something and stalled out within a few secs... Now it cranks cranks cranks like it wants to start but can't. Now I always research before asking for help and I'm stuck.. So here's what I've done: I try to start the car and I don't hear the fuel pump come on but the the fuse is good and the fuel pump relay clicks BUT when I rig the relay, the pump turns on, I hear it, and I see my fuel line in my engine twitch every time I push the relay contacts together, it's an AFPR, and I have a gauge. I haven't checked for spark, doing that today. Oh, and I took the ecu out, blew in it, and I tried to start it; it was just about to start when it just continued to crank, I checked for codes and I used an OBD2 scanner; all it showed was p1559 manufacturer specific p1613 manufacturer specific that's it.. I know what they are but everyone is driving they're cars with these codes still on, its not preventing them from starting up. I'm getting the fuel pump today or tomorrow. But if it could be anything else I would greatly appreciate it, I'm sorry this post is so long, I just want you guys to know everything I know. Thanks
Any better? Not trying to be a dick, just sitting on the couch, bored at home. It could be a short somewhere in your electrical system that you somehow bypass when you test the relay and pump separately.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:27 AM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

p1559 is a throttle body problem

p1613 means your check engine light is borken

seems like your car wont work due to a throttle body problem. have you tried an adaptation?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:16 AM
1st Gear

I haven't tryed an adaption yet maybe today but im trying to decide which one to use there's like 3 i read to do, And maybe getting the fuel pump today thru ups. I'll keep posted as soon as i know something. O and ppl tht have that code P1559 Idle Speed Contr.Throttle Pos. Adaptation Malfunction they are still drivig there car...and would that code not turn on the fuel pump? Thanks for the feedback any little bit of info can help

Old 11-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Administrator

No, that won't have any effect on your fuel pump. Did you measure voltage at the fuel pump terminals? There are four terminals - two in the small harness (sending unit) and two in the large one (pump). Make sure you have 12V at the pump when the key is on.

Old 11-24-2011, 06:36 PM
1st Gear
Default Update

I bought a new fuel pump, no change. I still dont hear no prime from the pump. BUT the relay clicks once, wen i turn it on the 'on' position but while cranking it dont click(it did before). I am getting fuel because i smell fuel on the ends of the spark plugs. I also smell gas, also my fuel line twitches wen it cranks. I checked the following
Spark on all coil packs- good
Crank position sensor-good
Cam sensor-good
Icm-good
Now the weird thing is its just about to start like its right there like a couple times it was about to but nope. Im thinking ecu. But if i can get any info tht be awesome. Me and my brother are both stumped. Ive also been looking on any and all forums,( thts the first thing i do before asking the experts) thanks

Old 11-24-2011, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

Its also a new fuel pump relay.