B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Super quick question on changing main coolant temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:43 PM
2nd Gear
Default Super quick question on changing main coolant temp sensor

Okay, I'll try to keep this simple and short and to the point so anyone reading this can read it, query their organic database for pertinent information, type a reply if the query returns a true statement, and proceed to get on with doing whatever it was they were doing before reading this

In short, I need to replace the coolant temp sensor that is on the back of the block that feeds the temp gauge in the instrument cluster and ECU, and well, I'm not entirely certain how to get at it.

I tried taking off the accordion part of the air intake and carefully squeezing my hand next to the firewall and behind the portion of the intake that I can't seem to find how it's bolted to the top of the motor and getting at the sensor that way, and was able to get one of the retaining clips off but not the other due to a fuel line being on the way.

So, that said, any suggestions on a way to get this changed out without pulling half the engine bay apart? lol

Thanks in advance

Old 04-16-2011, 09:05 PM
2nd Gear

Can ya take a picture and post it here? The coolant temp sensor I know of is in the coolant flange on the back of the head. there is a clip holding it in and you may need to wiggle it around to pull it out as there is an o-ring on it to keep it sealed. Last time I did it I didn't need to take anything apart, but maybe that was because it was a 1.8t motor

Old 04-17-2011, 03:27 AM
2nd Gear

Yea its different for the 2.8; mine is on the back of the block but still near the top on the passenger side of the bay so it CAN be got to from the top but fuel lines and seemingly unmovable air intakes are in the way. Devil, I know you and Yu did this once, any input on a easy-ish method to getting at this thing?

Old 04-17-2011, 07:19 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by A4Cragman
Yea its different for the 2.8; mine is on the back of the block but still near the top on the passenger side of the bay so it CAN be got to from the top but fuel lines and seemingly unmovable air intakes are in the way. Devil, I know you and Yu did this once, any input on a easy-ish method to getting at this thing?
I need to do this as well. Hopefully you get some good advice. If not, I'll wait until the Binghamton meet to swap mine out.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Yep, Erik, we can handle it here. Justin, come to the meet and we'll do yours too

Honestly, pulling the accordion hose, crushing your hand down there, and swearing a lot helps. The only thing holding it in is the retaining clip. Have a new one on hand as the plastic one you remove gets very brittle and breaks easily. Note the "position" of the harness connector on the sensor so you can align the new one properly. Pull the clip, and use the harness to pull it out, then unplug it and plug the new one in. Feed it back down and position it the way the old one was (make sure the old o-ring came out with the old sensor and that the new o-ring is identical - ask me how I know to check this). Push it in and press down firmly, and pop the new clip in. Pull up on it afterward, hard, to be sure the clip is seated right, or under pressure it'll pop out and you'll lose all your coolant (ask me how I know to check this too).

Hope it helps you - buzz me with questions Justin - I got your text last week but was on vacation with family and was intentionally staying off the grid. No disrespect intended, but I wasn't going to dis the family either.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Administrator

It helped tremendously having Yu and his smaller hands there - my holiday hams don't fit in there very well lol.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:02 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
Yep, Erik, we can handle it here. Justin, come to the meet and we'll do yours too

Honestly, pulling the accordion hose, crushing your hand down there, and swearing a lot helps. The only thing holding it in is the retaining clip. Have a new one on hand as the plastic one you remove gets very brittle and breaks easily. Note the "position" of the harness connector on the sensor so you can align the new one properly. Pull the clip, and use the harness to pull it out, then unplug it and plug the new one in. Feed it back down and position it the way the old one was (make sure the old o-ring came out with the old sensor and that the new o-ring is identical - ask me how I know to check this). Push it in and press down firmly, and pop the new clip in. Pull up on it afterward, hard, to be sure the clip is seated right, or under pressure it'll pop out and you'll lose all your coolant (ask me how I know to check this too).

Hope it helps you - buzz me with questions Justin - I got your text last week but was on vacation with family and was intentionally staying off the grid. No disrespect intended, but I wasn't going to dis the family either.
Haha I wish I could come to the meet, I could certainly use a good roadtrip after this wretched semester haha

No worries on staying off the grid, totally legit reason. Just got your VM, sorry I couldn't answer, working :/ I'm off in about 3 hours and was planning to attack the sensor again after I get off so that'll be about 8:00 by your clock if you're cool with me calling you back that late. Until then though, this little write up here was very useful in and of itself. I was trying to undo the harness clips while it was in there and could only get to one of the two that hold it to the sensor itself, pulling the sensor out and then taking off the harness makes a lot more sense haha but either way I'll buzz ya back after I get off and see what other useful info you can provide, cuz I do actually have a question on the sensor itself that I got as a replacement so a quick chat on the phone will be definitely useful

Last edited by A4Cragman; 04-17-2011 at 05:10 PM.