Audi A6 The mid-sized Audi A6 model offers more room to the driver and passengers over the A4 line.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Coolant Temp Sensor needed? quick!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 06:36 PM
1st Gear
Default What Coolant Temp Sensor needed? quick!

Sup guys.
I ordered already, and I got the green Coolant Temp sensor.
I read, and I know there are blue and green.

Well, I got a 1998 Audi A6 Quattro V6 30V car.
and AHA engine type.

so do I use the Green Coolant Temp Sensor? or the Blue one?

Please let me know asap!
Thanks alot!

Old 10-19-2005, 02:47 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: What Coolant Temp Sensor needed? quick!

Im not exactly sure which on you have but the connectors on the two are very different, so theres no posiblilty of installing the wrong one. If your car has a square connector you need the blue one. If the connector is a little roundish you need the green one.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:19 PM
1st Gear

Thanks alot.
The Green is one cheap.. even dealer is only $5.xx
While hte Blue is like $2x online + shipping.
Deal is like $30 for the blue one.

So it sucks.
Mine uses a blue, but I ordered Green... Damn it.
Thanks alot for your input thou.
Gil

Old 10-20-2005, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

Hi GIl,
Well I decided to bite the bullet and managed to find a reputable Audi Shop (not a dealer) in Toronto. Seems I have a couple of problems....

First off, one of the common problems with the 2.8 was Cam Adjusters and seals which I had the dubious houner of experiencing a year and a half back. I had the adjusters replace and did the timing belt at the same time. Seems the mechanic did not set the belt up right and the ignition is off somewhat. I only had the diagnostic done today so I ma not sure what the $$$ i sgoing to be to rectify that. We'll see next week.

In discussing my current problem with the owner of the shop he confirmed a the two things Temp Sensor and Fuel Pressor Regulator as causes of our mutual problem. In addition he mentioned a common problem is the coil not getting the right ammount of spark to the plugs. No doubt the timing issue I have doesn't help much.

In addition he mentioned O2 sensors can be a related problem.

What the quick scan turned up today was timing off (the painfull one), Bank 2 O2 Sensor rear, and another code they would need to research more as it may be caused by the other two. Long and short of it is I will be dropping the car off next Tuesday while I am away for a few days and on my return Friday evening, it should be fixed........barring me not running out of $$$.

I'll let you know the end result.

Hope your fix works for you!

Marc

Old 10-20-2005, 06:32 PM
1st Gear

Thanks alot for the updates.
I did found the FUEL PRESSURE Regulator's Vacuum hose is ripped.
SO I will replace that.
So once the Coolant temp sensor and all vacuum hose is replaced, I hope that fixed the problem.
I am also waiting for the Bently Manaul to come, since I ordered the worng one (A4 one) so I have to wait another week. SUCKS!

I will check again.
My Vag-Com came early this week, so I can do more checking, and hopefully everything will work out fine.
Thanks again. let me know any updates of your car.
I will do the same as well!
Thanks again.
Gil

Old 11-03-2005, 10:11 PM
1st Gear

Well here's the scoop..........
After 9 days with my new best friend at Bero Motors in Toronto it turns out some of the issues I had with O2 sensors and coolant temp sensors were contributers but not the fix. We discoverd that the previous mechanic who had replaced the cam tensioners and seals (typical problem with 2.8 5V's) had not set it up correctly. Too boot, even the Audi tech manuals and Bently manual folks had it wrong in their manuals on how o set up the Cams. Chances are if your car was worked on for tensioners you ave the same problem. In the manual it says 16 links on the chains and it turns out it is 14. They put it back together and voilah!!!!!!! no more engine codes errors misfire codes.......

The replaced a number of gaskets, the serpentine belt and slamed a new battery in it for good measure. All that for the one time low low cost of $2800 tax in. Painfull but fixed!

Hope your problem is resolved and don't have to go through all that.

Cheers!
Marc........
2000 A6 2.8

Old 11-06-2005, 02:43 AM
3rd Gear

What problem are you guys having? Misfire on startup? If thats the case theres a bulitin for it. You replace the coolant temp sensor, injectors, thermostat, and use a carbo cleaner.

When the cam seals leak you dont have to replace the tensionsers. Just the seal under it and the cam radial seals.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:09 PM

some startup problem in my honda civic hatchback.