B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Surging and random poor gear changing

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:41 PM
VFX
1st Gear
Default Surging and random poor gear changing

I recently bought a 1996 Audi A4 2.6l Auto, which when it gets up to normal temp, it has a slight miss or surge while.

When cold it was fine, it was only once it warmed up the issue occurred. Travelling at 100km/70mph it also seemed fine, but lower speeds and going uphill the miss/surge is pretty regular.

The car starts and idles fine also.

I also got a random poor gear change occasionally.

Unfortunately the problem is getting worse as the days go on and the miss/surge is now happening even when the car is cold and the poor gear changes are more frequent.

I've checked the leads and they are OK, changed the coil pack and the ICU, but these haven’t made any difference.

No codes other than In2 showing

Any suggestions?

Old 11-26-2010, 03:53 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by VFX
I recently bought a 1996 Audi A4 2.6l Auto, which when it gets up to normal temp, it has a slight miss or surge while.

When cold it was fine, it was only once it warmed up the issue occurred. Travelling at 100km/70mph it also seemed fine, but lower speeds and going uphill the miss/surge is pretty regular.

The car starts and idles fine also.

I also got a random poor gear change occasionally.

Unfortunately the problem is getting worse as the days go on and the miss/surge is now happening even when the car is cold and the poor gear changes are more frequent.

I've checked the leads and they are OK, changed the coil pack and the ICU, but these haven’t made any difference.

No codes other than In2 showing

Any suggestions?
if you bought anything but oem coil packs you fail oem only or the issue will always be there

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...ion/Coil_Pack/

you should of bought one of those so

now lets say you did that, it could be that the rubber under the hood from the years have gone bad so you have a leak and now u have a vacumm leak thats making the car hicup so check for any leaks cheack all fluids make sure to use good quailty products on this car check spark plugs to see if the car is running rich or lean

Old 11-26-2010, 08:21 PM
3rd Gear

Load signal comes from the MAF on VAG products. Start by cleaning and inspecting the MAF and see if the issue persists. My first thought was a bad torque converter, but a code is almost always stored when they fail or the TCC sticks.

If it's missing at idle as well, you have an engine issue. Start by checking the plugs if you haven't already. If it only misses while under load, it could be something more like the MAF or even a transmission issue. It's hard to tell by your description.

Last... what is In2?

Old 11-27-2010, 10:53 AM
2nd Gear

Vacuum leak
Coolant temp sensor

Last edited by dragonrage; 11-27-2010 at 01:26 PM.