B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Is there more than one style of wing mirror fitted as standard on the B5?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 12:40 AM
1st Gear
Default Is there more than one style of wing mirror fitted as standard on the B5?

Hi guys,

I'd be grateful for advice.

Is there more than one shape for the wing mirrors fitted to the A4 saloons from 1997-2000?

I'm driving an old Audi A4 TDI diesel saloon W reg (2000).
It looks like the one pictured here:
http://www.tradebit.com/filedetai...00-service-repair-manual-download

I've been trying to replace the broken driver's side wing mirror glass and thought I'd got a nice deal on e-bay here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A-...;rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 (scroll down to see his posting - with three pics)

However, the one which was sent to me by mail does not fit the mirror unit on my A4.

I expected it to be the same length and shape as the mirrors pictured in the first and third photos of his eBay ad - but I now notice that the middle photo is a somewhat different shape (shorter, with less of a slant to the left-hand side?) - and, sadly, that stubbier shape is the style which was posted to me. It will not fit easily into the unit (there is a yawning, triangular gap between the mirror and the casing), and won't be moved around electrically to its full range.

The seller can't understand why I am dissatisfied. He claims that all three pics are of the same mirror (surely, this is untrue - you only have to move between the three pics' enlargements to see what I mean). He tells me that this mirror was taken from a 1997 Audi A4. My car was made in 2000.

I have since noticed that other sellers of replacement mirror glass for that model of Audi also offer some differently shaped mirrors (shorter ones, with sides at less of an acute angle like his). All very confusing.

Could someone tell me:

1) Is my car definitely from the B5 range (1997-2000, as pictured in first link above)? Is there a chance it could be a B6 (2000 onwards)? Does a B6 look anything like a B5 (as I say, mine looks just like the model pictured in the top link - apart from being right-hand-drive, obviously).

2) Is it likely that there might be more than one style of wing mirror for the B5 range of Audi A4's (1997 - 2000)?

3) If so, how can I best describe the exact wing mirror style to fit my car so I don't get caught out again?

4) Alternatively, if I decided to replace the entire black mirror unit (not just the glass), would I then have problems attaching it to my car door — or would the points of attachment fit identically regardless of the styling of the mirror unit itself? Would a B6 full wing-mirror unit also attach to a B5 car door and vice versa?

5) Lastly, if this newbie has posted in the wrong place, could anyone point me to the correct forum?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:26 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Lets start with what country you are in, I presume you are overseas in europe since you're driving a TDI. Is it right hand drive or left?

In North America, the B5 model line ran from 96-01, not 97-2000. There are many significant changes between a 97 and 2000 A4. In europe, the B5 ran from 95-01. Each year has some differences from the year before it. Changes were made to the exterior, interior, engine options, and engine mechanicals (there are early and late versions of the AEB motor.)

One of those changes was switching from a stubby passenger sized mirror to a "full size" mirror (assuming LHD, with the passenger side on the right.)

You can see some of the changes here: Mark's A4 Quattrobonium - A4 Differences

Your 2000 A4 is a facelift model that should have fullsize mirrors on both sides. It seems like you were shipped a stubby mirror.

There are even larger differences between the B5 and B6, most parts are not interchangeable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A4

Old 10-09-2013, 07:55 AM
1st Gear

BaseDrifter,

thank you so much; that clears up a lot.

Yes, I'm in the UK - so Right Hand Drive. And you're right that driver's side and passenger side mirror units are the same "full" size.

Can I assume that the fittings for any mirror units will also be entirely different - between B5s and B6s (even between 1997 and 2000 model year B5s?) - so that I would still have to hunt for a replacement "full size" housing if I wanted to swap the entire unit?

Old 10-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

Just a tip, it's best to include your location in the post. Or better yet, update your profile so it shows up in the top right.

Yes, you could assume that. I don't have any direct knowledge about the similarities or differences between B5 and B6 mirrors.

If you just need replacement glass you should keep an eye out for someone parting their car. If I happen upon some glass at the junkyard next time I go I'll snag one for you.

Be aware of the differences in mirrors though, there are several options: Heated, anti glare, and blind spot. You'll want to match it to your mirror. If you buy a used mirror, make sure of its condition, they can start to turn brown at the edges.