B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Transaxle Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:59 PM

I tried using a 24" breaker bar and I had to use a foot long extension just to get leverage on the bolt, and I still couldn't get them to come off. I don't know what the deal is. I'm not a weak guy. It really shouldn't be this hard.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:39 AM

Man, that sucks.. I've been in your posistion waaay more times then I can count or care to remember for that matter.. BUT my misfortune may be to your benefit haha.. FIRST!! always let the bolt in question sit for a while in PB BLASTER or some wd-40.. I usually do 4-6 hrs,(spraying and re-spraying often within the time period) sometimes overnight depending where the bolt it.. Saturation is key..

What I usually do first would be to take a pair of locking pliers to the stripped head..

If that doesn't work I have a craftsman "bolt out" set that usually always does the trick.. The bolt out set is basically an exaggerated set of dies that come in a bunch of sizes.. You pick the size that's closest to the head size, hammer it on with a heavy rubber mallet and then simply use an open-end wrench to remove the bolt as normal.. This set can be picked up at any sears.. Truely invaluable..

If THAT doesn't work for what ever reason.. You can use a dremmel or small hacksaw blade and cut a grove into the stripped head that would be compatible with a flathead screwdriver or flathead ratchet attachment.. Deep and slow is the key here.. Cutting the grove can be quite time consuming..

Lastly would be to drill a hole through the head and into the shank of the bolt, and attach a Allen wrench with JB WELD or QUICKSTEEL (local auto parts store) into the hole.. Let it cure, and remove..

*REMEMBER* soak it in some type of bolt losener first..

Really hope this will help you.. I know how much this sucks.. Good luck!!

Last edited by andreleroy; 02-12-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:27 AM
1st Gear

This might sound stupid, but are you turning the bolt the right way. Many years ago a friend and I were replacing the water pump on my ranger. Fords have a special tool for removing the fan. One wrench goes over the shaft, and the other grabs ahold of the four bolts holding the fan to the pulley. My manual said the threads went one way. We spent a couple hours trying to free it, even breaking the tool. Then I realized on the core support, it said the threads went the other way. Man did we feel stupid!

Old 02-12-2010, 08:35 AM
3rd Gear

always you could heat up the bolt that always seems to do the trick

Old 02-12-2010, 09:48 AM

Haha good call TommyGunns!! The heat is also a good idea andrew149 but it depends where the bolt is.. Dissimilar metals obviously expand at diffrent rates, but if the bolt is in the block the heat will make it easier to take out.. but if the bolt is in something that isn't normally exposed to high temperature, like an axle or something, the metal is most likely going to expand slower than the bolt causing more of a "press-fit" condition making it that much harder to come out.. And becareful not to heat it up more than 2-3 times.. Try just to heat it up a lot the first time.. If the heat doesn't work, grab a can of dust-off and turn it upside down and spray that on the bolt for a while.. Thal will cause the bolt to contract making it smaller..

Old 02-13-2010, 12:51 PM

Any results.?

Old 02-14-2010, 03:06 AM

I haven't had the chance to do it for the past two days. I have had work and by the time I get home, it's already dark outside. I am going to get the bolt off kit tomorrow or something similar to it. I will need to find new bolts to replace the stripped ones, but don't know the size to get. I didn't even think about the heat or cold. I am trying to think of the best way to do that. I don't have a heat gun.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:56 PM
2nd Gear

use a torch to melt the threadlock thats on the bolts, then grab a pair of vice-grips for the ones that are rounded off. thats how i did mine when i was doing the clutch and flywheel replacement. then have some beer.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:58 AM

Yeah, a torch will do the trick.. Your local auto parts should sell them for about $15..