B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Transmission Yuck!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:58 PM
1st Gear
Default Transmission Yuck!

Ok. I bought a 2000 audi a4 fwd 1.8t. when I turn left it slips. Unless I am very gentle with the brakes. The transmission slips to get back into drive. I don't know how to check the transmission fluid. There is not a dipstick. Can you help me? Thank you

Old 10-17-2014, 09:55 AM
1st Gear

The automatic transmission on my B5 quattro is sealed (I'm guessing the same for FWD), so there is no way to measure fluid level.

To flush and replace the ATF, you will need a friend to help out, about six quarts of Audi-approved ATF, a hand pump, transmission filter, gaskets, and access to VAG-COM/VCDS software.

Blauparts sells a kit with everything you need minus the software. In brief, you need to replace the ATF when the transmission is at operating temperature. So, you raise the car off the ground, get it running, wait for the software to show the right temp, and then climb under and switch out the fluid and filter, etc.

Do not go to Jiffy Lube and let them attempt to do it.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:16 AM
1st Gear

already posted this in a different thread but maybe this will help you, Changed mine for the first time last night on my 03 a6 2.7t took about an hour an a half, this forum and this diy helped me a lot, Audi 01V Tiptronic Transmission Fluid Change | Audiction.com .. simple enough, not to mention I'm 17. The manual 6-speed transmissions hold about 2.5L, and the automatic transmissions hold 6-7L. Make sure the car is level when draining and filling. There is a drain plug and a fill plug located about midway on the transmission, the oil comes out fast and if your engine isn't cool the oil is hotter than you think. The hardest part of the fluid change was getting the fluid in the fill bolt with no gravity fed fluid pump or "something like that".. I ended up taking a piece of pvc pipe, heating it up and bending it to the correct angle to fit in the fill bolt hole and fixing it on the spout of the transmission fluid bottle then squeezing the fluid out of the bottle which deemed pretty difficult. Before the fluid chance I was experiencing trouble shifting into first and second and downshifting, my assumption is that the linkage is F-ed up but changing the tranny fluid definitely helped and was worth it... http://www.audiction.com/audi-mainte...-fluid-change/ thats the diy link

Last edited by dasboost33; 10-17-2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: link didn't post
Old 10-17-2014, 03:27 PM
1st Gear

If the transmission is sealed. How could my transmission fluid be low?

Old 10-17-2014, 04:23 PM
1st Gear

Technically it is a sealed system and the transmission fluid is supposed to last the life of the car. In reality, there's no way that is going to happen. Seals will eventually leak. You can check the level of transmission fluid in the car but it is not simple. Basically, you have to get all four wheels off the ground, get the transmission fluid within a certain temperature range, shift through the gears, and then remove the fill plug and see if you are up to the proper level. This link is a quick, less detailed procedure on checking the fluid level. This link is about changing the fluid and filter but it has more details and you're just going to skip to where they fill the transmission back up and check the level.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:23 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by redmond1501
The automatic transmission on my B5 quattro is sealed (I'm guessing the same for FWD), so there is no way to measure fluid level.

To flush and replace the ATF, you will need a friend to help out, about six quarts of Audi-approved ATF, a hand pump, transmission filter, gaskets, and access to VAG-COM/VCDS software.

Blauparts sells a kit with everything you need minus the software. In brief, you need to replace the ATF when the transmission is at operating temperature. So, you raise the car off the ground, get it running, wait for the software to show the right temp, and then climb under and switch out the fluid and filter, etc.

Do not go to Jiffy Lube and let them attempt to do it.
You don't necessarily need vcds, I did it once and noticed that when the transmission case is warm-hot it'll be in the ballpark of the right temperature. The whole process was a horrible PITA though, such a convoluted drain/fill plug design.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:06 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys.