B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Turn signal not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:23 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by audi guru
you dont need to reomve the panel around it. you only need to replace that relay
You do need to remove the panel around the relay to pull it out. I used a real small flat head screw driver and gently popped the corners first then worked around until the trim came free. Dont pull too hard or the clips that hold it place will break.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

and it wont break the clips, not unless you take it out regularly. mine came out just fine. you unplug the small wiring harness, plug it back into the new one, and slip the new relay back into the slot. easy as pie.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:54 PM
1st Gear

and you do not need to remove the trim around it. i did this myself. you just use a paper clip to pull the relay out. if you pull the trim out, there is a chace you will break it. im 99% sure about this. the dealership told me. if im wrong then you can try his way, but my way worked fine for me.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:19 AM

Yea, be very careful i used a little to much force on mine when i was trying to figure out why my turn signals where not working and compleatly broke it. But yea the relay in mine was bad too. there like 25 from the audi parts website.
http://www.genuinevwaudiparts.com/pa...ake=2&model=A4

Old 03-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Default heh

Originally Posted by jiggleo
did you check the turn signal fluid/
Classic. I love it.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:30 PM

2000 A6 Quattro, 4.2L

Left turn signal went out: first it stayed on, then it just flashed faster. Checked bulb, bulb socket, wires, etc. and everything seemed fine. The socket has continuity, the bulb is good, and there's no shorts in the wires to the switches / relays.

A bit later, right went out. Same problem. Stayed on, then flashed faster.

My reading suggested the hazard relay was bad. So, I spent the money on partsgeek.com to get a new one. First... any cheaper place to get these kinds of parts? Second, didn't fix the issue.

Procedure to replace hazard relay:

1. Yes, GENTLY pry the faceplate off using a flat-head screwdriver and something to protect the plastic... rag, thin plastic sheet... anything. Do not pry hard or you WILL break the molded clips on the back of this thing. There are 6, 3 bottom and 3 top. They are simple metal clips molded into small studs in the plastic. It doesn't take much force to snap those studs, so be extra careful. You MUST remove this face because the hazard relay is larger than the triangular hole in that faceplate.

2. I actually destroyed my relay pulling it out, mostly because I didn't care. But, to do it properly, the tips mentioned in this thread (paper clip, etc) should suffice.

3. Unplug, replug, slide home, reassemble. I believe one user said "Easy as pie." He couldn't be more correct.

So, here I am with a new hazard relay and still inop front turn signals. My next step would be to replace the turn signal switch on the steering column, but I've read that maybe the sockets are indeed bad? Something about discoloration due to moisture corrosion, etc. making the contacts bad to the bulb? But that doesn't explain why my Fluke meter tells me the socket has continuity... weird.

So, does anyone have a tip for where I should look next? I'd like to not replace the turn signal switch if possible... so... yeah.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:51 PM
1st Gear

I have a 98 audi A4 1.8 and my hazard relay doesn't look like the one in the DIY. My turn signals aren't working (they only blink once or twice then they stop). I know that this part has some connection to the turn signals, because when its off neither the signals or the hazards light blink. Do you recommend me to purchase this relay. see pic

Last edited by gironhe; 05-26-2010 at 06:56 PM.