B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

upgrading to hid problem/question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 02:49 PM
1st Gear
Default upgrading to hid problem/question

So i bought a kit from VVME -- what crap those are.. the bulb constantly flickers when idling.. probly a bad ballast. Let alone when i hit a bump the whole bulb flickers like its not held in place inside the headlight housing.

Ive installed HID in my other audi's but ive never had this problem. Bad kit? Cheap products?

Does ANYONE know a good kit to buy? Tired of getting made in China trash, but don't exactly know what it would take to put factory HID in - assuming it would be a different wiring harness under my hood.

Im talking on my 02 1.8TQM B6 A4. I posted here because the B6 forums are next to dead.

Thanks and please post comments/input here !

Old 01-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Administrator

I've heard many good things about the VVME kit from people here. However, I never had first hand experience with them.

Have you tried contacting the company and telling them the problem you're having?

Old 01-22-2009, 07:56 PM
3rd Gear

The connection is bad. Check the input on the ballasts and the bulb plugs one of them is corroded or bent or missing a weather seal. Deal w/ it before it does actually cause damage and be glad its not a new Acura your replacing. Just worked on one today that the bulb was out on but it was due to a bad terminal and the terminal is only available w/ the ballast.... looking at 350 bux all together for 1 side! That doesn't include labor. The previous owner of my car had installed my kit poorly and left the ballast just hanging so my weather seal went bad and terminals got corroded for the input. Cleaned it up secured the ballast no problems since.

Last edited by somebody5788; 01-22-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:20 PM
1st Gear

I agree with part of what you said...mine don't flicker at idle, but when I hit a bump, they do kind of bounce inside the light housing.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RyanSweeney
I agree with part of what you said...mine don't flicker at idle, but when I hit a bump, they do kind of bounce inside the light housing.

mine did that too so i flipped around the metal piece that holds them in to the housing, making them fit tighter

Old 01-22-2009, 11:33 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jskinny
mine did that too so i flipped around the metal piece that holds them in to the housing, making them fit tighter
You talking about that metal wire like thing?

Old 01-23-2009, 08:46 AM
1st Gear

You talking about that metal wire like thing?
yea, the clip thing that holds the headlight in the hole? sorry dont really know how else to describe it, but i think the normal h7 bulbs are a little different shaped so it fits those perfect but the hids arent snug with it so i flipped it around and its good. kind of hard to clip in and unclip though.

it should just come out if you pinch each sides together.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jskinny
yea, the clip thing that holds the headlight in the hole? sorry dont really know how else to describe it, but i think the normal h7 bulbs are a little different shaped so it fits those perfect but the hids arent snug with it so i flipped it around and its good. kind of hard to clip in and unclip though.

it should just come out if you pinch each sides together.
i will try this later today -- its much more me going over bumps and it flickering that bothers me than the idle flicker -- i noticed LLTek's kit comes with a filter on it to stop the flicker that is caused by this.. could that be my problem? i need one of those filters?

Anoying isnt it? I mean it really isnt that bad, but hell its enough to bother me. Ive never had this problem, only probly because ive never bought a cheap kit, im used to LLtek's 333 dollar kit.

Originally Posted by somebody5788
The connection is bad. Check the input on the ballasts and the bulb plugs one of them is corroded or bent or missing a weather seal. Deal w/ it before it does actually cause damage and be glad its not a new Acura your replacing. Just worked on one today that the bulb was out on but it was due to a bad terminal and the terminal is only available w/ the ballast.... looking at 350 bux all together for 1 side! That doesn't include labor. The previous owner of my car had installed my kit poorly and left the ballast just hanging so my weather seal went bad and terminals got corroded for the input. Cleaned it up secured the ballast no problems since.
Im a stickler when it comes to electrical connections and the reason i bought from VVME is they had a good rep on these forums. Double checked and sealed all connections again, and its not better. I havent contacted VVME yet, but i plan on it to discuss the problem with them.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:05 PM
2nd Gear

who knows, every now and again im sure someone has to come across a "bad kit" so to speak.. check with them i bet they send you a new kit or side

Old 01-26-2009, 12:08 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by osin34
who knows, every now and again im sure someone has to come across a "bad kit" so to speak.. check with them i bet they send you a new kit or side
yeah im about to call them and see what they say, ill post back and keep updated

Quick Reply: upgrading to hid problem/question