B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Why not put 20"s on a B5?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 01:25 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CCA4
Personally, I would never put 20" wheels on a B5. I think 18" is the perfect size.

That said, it can obviously be done and in some cases done really well:

Your A4 is not one of those cases. I think those rimz are hideous. Nice Cutlass though.
That wagon is definitely sexy.

Thanks. I loved that Cutlass. I had 3" true dual 40 series Flowmasters w/all black angle cut pipes coming out of both sides, right in front of the rear wheels. That way, anytime someone wanted to race me (which was all the time), they got all 500hp & 600lbs. in their ear. It was a lot of fun. I shut **** down in that thing on a damn near daily basis. I even raced (and beat) the guys who owned and made all of those "Cars gone wild" videos in their twin turbo 3000GT-VR4. - Good times!

So explain to me what makes my B5 on these 20"s so hideous to you (if you don't mind)?

Old 10-26-2014, 01:46 PM
4th Gear

So explain to me what makes my B5 on these 20"s so hideous to you (if you don't mind)?
I waited a bit before commenting on this thread, but I think I've figured it out. The B5 is more of a muted designed. It's beautiful while not being flashy. The two main issues you're facing right now is the wheels are a little too flashy for a typical B5 aficionado and the fender gap. Notice how both of those issues are addressed on the gorgeous B5 RS4. The wheels, while larger, fit the design because the are not flashy (i.e. no chrome) and look like they could be stock, along with the absence of any fender gap.

With that being said, everything I've pointed to is also subjective. As other have said, it's your car so do what you want with it, but if I'd seen it rolling around on the street, I would probably cringe a little bit.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:04 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
I waited a bit before commenting on this thread, but I think I've figured it out. The B5 is more of a muted designed. It's beautiful while not being flashy. The two main issues you're facing right now is the wheels are a little too flashy for a typical B5 aficionado and the fender gap. Notice how both of those issues are addressed on the gorgeous B5 RS4. The wheels, while larger, fit the design because the are not flashy (i.e. no chrome) and look like they could be stock, along with the absence of any fender gap.

With that being said, everything I've pointed to is also subjective. As other have said, it's your car so do what you want with it, but if I'd seen it rolling around on the street, I would probably cringe a little bit.
Understandable. I was thinking about putting RS4 wheels on it (if anything), but I got these for a really good deal and the specs were perfect.

The pictures make them look way flashier than they actually are (in the pics, they're in the direct Fl. Sunshine).

Contrary to the look in the photos, there isn't any chrome on them at all. They're completely anodized black, with machined aluminum lip, buttons and the partial 5 star design. There's more black than anything.

And make no mistake: I'm not looking for any validation from anyone (I like 'em - period). I'm just curious about this whole "Group think" mentality that seems to exist in our realm. I (personally) get compliments on the car all the time and I've had zero negative comments, which makes me wonder why the B5 community would be so opposite.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:00 PM
2nd Gear

Chrome or not, you can't argue that those rims aren't flashy. The fake (I assume) bolts around the barrel, glossy black paint, and the spoke design are what does it. Too flashy for a B5, like others have said.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy
Nothing wrong with your car or the fact that the wheels are 20", I just don't like the design of them. I'm more of an OEM+ kind of guy, and those wheels stick out too much for me. Not stick out as in they physically stick out past the fenders, but stick out in the sense that anybody could look at them and know they're not stock. Just not my style, that's all.

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
Chrome or not, you can't argue that those rims aren't flashy. The fake (I assume) bolts around the barrel, glossy black paint, and the spoke design are what does it. Too flashy for a B5, like others have said.
+1.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:00 PM
4th Gear

OEM+
+1...

Old 10-28-2014, 02:54 AM
Site Moderator/B5 Tech Guru

I'm more of an OEM+ kind of guy
Yup, that. I'm also going to take this statement to mean that you're getting back into an Audi, Jeep boy.

Sorry TurboGuy, but I'm not feeling the wheels either for many of the reasons already listed. All about whatever floats your boat though.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:05 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mad Cow
Yeah: They're definitely flashy (which has grown on me) and most buttons (including these) are fake nowadays.

There isn't any paint though. It's all anodized aluminum (less "trendy/ghetto" - More actual lightweight benefit).

Nothing wrong with your car or the fact that the wheels are 20", I just don't like the design of them. I'm more of an OEM+ kind of guy, and those wheels stick out too much for me. Not stick out as in they physically stick out past the fenders, but stick out in the sense that anybody could look at them and know they're not stock. Just not my style, that's all.

+1.
Agreed. This was supposed to be the first car I didn't "hook up" at all. Then I started day-dreaming about S4 wheels....and then the black 18"s on the ECS website. Then these came along at a crazy low price - everyone is hard-up for cash nowadays (at least down here) and I just couldn't pass 'em up. I don't mind the flash. It's kind of normal here in Florida anyway. My car is drowned out by most of the "hooked up" **** around here.

Originally Posted by bradtyler02
+1...
See above

Thanks guys.

Last edited by A4TurboGuy; 10-28-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BaseDrifter
Yup, that. I'm also going to take this statement to mean that you're getting back into an Audi, Jeep boy.
Maybe...

Originally Posted by A4TurboGuy
Then these came along at a crazy low price - everyone is hard-up for cash nowadays (at least down here) and I just couldn't pass 'em up.
Definitely can't argue with that, especially if the old wheels were in rough shape.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:29 AM
1st Gear

It is different and it looks good. After all, it is a 14 year old car, not a new one, right. why not personalize it? complaints about your wheels are silly, in my opinion. but, when you ask the internet, you should know what to expect. It's your thang. enjoy.

Quick Reply: Why not put 20"s on a B5?