B5 Models Please discuss all 1996 - 2001 B5 A4 topics here...

Why not put 20"s on a B5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 08:22 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by BaseDrifter
It doesn't quite work that way. Increasing with width of the tire does not necessarily increase its grip assuming identical vehicle weight and tread material. As you increase the contact patch of the tire the weight of the vehicle is spread out over a larger area, a narrower tire will have that weight spread over a smaller surface area, albeit with increased pressure. You can test this for yourself by taking a large book (a physics textbook works great!) and try sliding it across the desk face down, and then on its edge. It will take the exact same amount of force to push the book against the desk regardless of the size of the contact patch on the table.
A more aggressive tread pattern alone makes my cornering better (which I now have). Can you do that with a smaller wheel/tire? Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that I do in fact have the ability to corner better now. I also have a stiffer sidewall - but with the correct amount of pressure, so as not to lose traction. My 20"s are also all aluminum, so they're not "those heavy wheels" you speak of. They're actually quite light.

I fully understand the psychics lesson you're trying to teach me (They definitely applied when I had a 600RR as my daily driver), but I'm not racing at the Bonneville salt flats, nor am I Auto-crossing my car, so in my everyday "real life" world: your points are moot.

A larger contact patch CAN hurt in that it increases rolling resistance, this is why you see those ultra high mpg vehicles with the ridiculously skinny tires. The increased rolling resistance of larger tires makes them respond less quickly to inputs and will decrease your turn in speed when entering corners. Larger wheels and tires will also weigh more than smaller ones, rubber is exceptionally heavy. Unsprung weight is the worst kind of weight to increase. It will make you accelerate slower, decelerate slower, and reduce turning response. It is more difficult to change the position of an object with larger mass.

I doubt your contact patch increased by 4", but you can calculate it here.

As stated before: A more aggressive tread pattern alone makes my car corner better (which I now have) and my 20" tires are lighter than my 16" tires, so that takes care of the "heavy rubber" issue - and yes - I do in fact have an extra 4" of grip, but what the hell: I'll entertain your flexing of confidence anyway (if only for posterity sake):

Name:  2_zps3727109b.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  4_zps7f8be9ee.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  24.2 KB

Name:  5_zpsb043f8e9.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  24.4 KB

Happy yet?

If that is all you're looking to figure out then the answer may be quite simple. People on the internet don't care about saving face and will tell you their true opinion. It's usually unwise to talk **** about someone's car to their face, it's generally just a bad idea. Lord knows I've been to plenty of car meets and had someone show me their car with their intercooler zip tied on, missing the front bumper, and janky LED lights hot melt glued to the interior of their engine bay. Did I tell them their car looked like dog **** in person? No, I smiled and nodded.

People are much less likely to tell you their true opinion of your car to your face, it's just human nature to save face in person. I don't have to worry about you getting offended and kicking my *** online.
I'll be damned: I think ^^^ this really is the true and honest answer I was looking for. It just never occurred to me, because it's so sad - and I'm not naturally like that. I won't compliment someone's **** if I think it's ugly. I'll speak my mind (if my opinion's solicited)....but that's probably because I'm not afraid to do so in person.

Thank you! You honestly gave me my answer/satisfied my curiosity.

Yup. Though you seem pretty dead set on trying to convince us otherwise.
I've never asked anyone (in person) what they think of my car, because I really don't care. I don't need validation, as you're so convinced that I do. I only know what people say when I pull up to a gas station, stoplight, etc.

Being a dick on the internet is a lot safer than being a dick in person.
Unfortunately, you're right - and that's sad IMHO, because that's a coward's mentality and it's also a large part of what is slowly making our society weaker.

It's definitely not just a "south" thing. Come to bay area, relish in the "scrapers" here. They are a dime a dozen. Take a drive around Oakland and that's all you'll see.
+1

Here's Texas (FF to 1:50):

Enjoy!

Last edited by A4TurboGuy; 11-06-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:39 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by B5 Audi
damn that looks good!
Thank you.

Old 02-02-2021, 01:15 AM
1st Gear

Looks great guys!!!!