B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

1.8T to 4.2 Swap Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 05:46 PM
1st Gear
Default 1.8T to 4.2 Swap Inquiry

Hey everybody,
I am going to study to be a mechanical engineer (specifically automobiles) so I wanted to do a project with my father to learn more about engines and drivetrains. Since I am going to VT in the fall, completely restoring a car was out, and so my dad asked me how I felt about putting a 4.2L V8 from an S4 in my A4. I said that I would have been much more than happy, but I recently talked with a representative today from Shokan to see approximately how much it would cost to get a parts car for the swap. She told me that the 4.2 was probably one of the worst engines Audi has ever made and to not do it. I disagree; I love that sound and power. Does anybody feel the same as me? And would you recommend the 4.2 over others (even though it's almost a direct swap)? I would really love to put a V8 powerplant in my A4, but since that representative kind of threw my beautiful fantasy back in my face, I'm kind of unsure. Also, if anybody would know approximately how much I can get the V8 and drivetrain for (since she forgot to tell me on the phone and I couldn't find anywhere else even though I searched for hours), I would greatly appreciate it! And I realize that there are a few other threads on other forums about this as well, so consider the possibility that I have read them and that they didn't help Thanks for your input!

Old 03-20-2012, 12:54 PM
4th Gear

hmm u looking at alot of money to do that swap. Why not just mod the 1.8 ***** to the wall?

Old 03-20-2012, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

Thank you very much for responding, but I felt that swapping out the entire soul of my car instead of just messing around with the 1.8's intake and turbo would help me learn more about engines in general. Do you think it would be a good idea? And do you think I can find a parts car S4 for under 4k? Thanks a lot, I appreciate the input!

Old 03-20-2012, 02:59 PM
4th Gear

honestly if u want to do all that work and everything thats cool. But for the prices to swap u mightesswell just go out and buy a s4 used. The 1.8 motor upgrading isnt just turbo and intake. if u havent done to much research on the 1.8 i would advise u dig a little deeper. There is a lot of stuff u can add to our little motor. as long as it isnt fwd.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

Wow, A used engine alone is going to run you about $6000. A used tranny $3500. I hope you dont have FWD! If you do, expect another $8000 for awd. This is not your typical Chevy swap!
You will have to reprogram everything with Vag-com to make everything electrical to work!
Like pa4ul said, invest in a used S4! It will save you time and headaches!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:22 PM
1st Gear

Thank you both for the input, but I do want to do this for the work, so just investing in an S4 isn't what I would really like to do. I will check out some of the bigger mods that I can do on my 1.8t, thanks. And jeez! You can get a full A4 for that! (And I have a Quattro ;P)

Old 03-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Administrator

Search out the V8 swap threads on Audizine - Siena and TheRussian both did it. They were in a B5 each time, so your swap would be a little less involved since the 4.2 was offered in the B6, but there's still a LOT to do.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

Dont do it. Look on craigslist and find an 80's cutlass, monte carlo, camaro, etc, something gm. Yank the motor and plan and build a nice small block for it. Youre not going to learn anything by taking out a motor and putting a new one back in, that just makes you an average wrench turner. Working on a carbed engine with mechanical timing is something many mechanics dont know how to do nowadays. You'll get a real aprreciation for what it take to plan and assemble a motor and also what it takes to tune one and get it running 100%. If you try to do your idea with an audi you will spend so much money it will hurt. Message me if you want and i'll help you find a nice project. Also, sign up on hotrodders.com. thats where you will learn. This site is more about changing light bulbs rather than building engines.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:43 PM
1st Gear
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bigdog7373
Dont do it. Look on craigslist and find an 80's cutlass, monte carlo, camaro, etc, something gm. Yank the motor and plan and build a nice small block for it. Youre not going to learn anything by taking out a motor and putting a new one back in, that just makes you an average wrench turner. Working on a carbed engine with mechanical timing is something many mechanics dont know how to do nowadays. You'll get a real aprreciation for what it take to plan and assemble a motor and also what it takes to tune one and get it running 100%. If you try to do your idea with an audi you will spend so much money it will hurt. Message me if you want and i'll help you find a nice project. Also, sign up on hotrodders.com. thats where you will learn. This site is more about changing light bulbs rather than building engines.
Agree!!! find a fiero and put a v8 in it!!!!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:29 PM
1st Gear

Thank you all for the help! I think what BigDog said is what would help me learn the most, but I don't think that I can do that until after college, so for now I guess I'll stick with the good ol' 1.8T! Now I just have to find an intercooler... Haha, thanks everybody!

Quick Reply: 1.8T to 4.2 Swap Inquiry