B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

1.8T to 4.2 Swap Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 10:59 PM
1st Gear

I built and swapped in the engine into my 78 firebird in a summer. On the other hand, if you are just interested in engines you dont need to buy a car. Pick up a small block chevy from craiglist and plan and build it. You dont need a car, the instalation is the simple part. When you finally fire up the engine after all your planning and hard work is the most awesome feeling. Just go for it
Check out hotrodders.com . Its a great site to learn everything you need.

As for an intercooler, look at the ones on ebay from cxracing. It would be perfect for a stock turbo setup.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AudiVerrückt
Hey everybody,
I am going to study to be a mechanical engineer (specifically automobiles) so I wanted to do a project with my father to learn more about engines and drivetrains. Since I am going to VT in the fall, completely restoring a car was out, and so my dad asked me how I felt about putting a 4.2L V8 from an S4 in my A4. I said that I would have been much more than happy, but I recently talked with a representative today from Shokan to see approximately how much it would cost to get a parts car for the swap. She told me that the 4.2 was probably one of the worst engines Audi has ever made and to not do it. I disagree; I love that sound and power. Does anybody feel the same as me? And would you recommend the 4.2 over others (even though it's almost a direct swap)? I would really love to put a V8 powerplant in my A4, but since that representative kind of threw my beautiful fantasy back in my face, I'm kind of unsure. Also, if anybody would know approximately how much I can get the V8 and drivetrain for (since she forgot to tell me on the phone and I couldn't find anywhere else even though I searched for hours), I would greatly appreciate it! And I realize that there are a few other threads on other forums about this as well, so consider the possibility that I have read them and that they didn't help Thanks for your input!
Just giving you a tip, mechanical engineering has nothing to do with cars. You study about every moving thing with rotations and do not touch a subject on cars( probably do some exercise on the angle and rotation piston do at the crankshaft. but that's about it.) I started ME and did not like it because of that, I ended up finishing on Electrical Engineering. Good luck!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

Thank you very much for your help BigDog! I'll be looking into that. But dahaker, the programs that I will be enrolled in in Virginia Tech will deal with automotives. I realize that ME isn't specifically engineering, but if you look at many (or all) racing teams in DTM, BTCC, Formula 1, ALMS, etc., the engineers on the teams who build the cars are mechanical engineers, unless of course they are hired for specific jobs where electrical is needed. Formula SAE, for example, if the project I look forward to most. Thank you for the reply though, I appreciate it!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

And I meant "specifically Automotive" sorry haha

Old 04-08-2012, 06:23 PM
1st Gear

If you're still looking for an intercooler for your ride check out O. CT Tuning. I have one on my A4 and its really nice!

Old 04-09-2012, 07:29 AM
1st Gear

Great field to study in.

Last edited by Dozanti; 04-09-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:15 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Dozanti
Great field to study in.
Thanks, I love cars and math, so it fits pretty well haha

Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 PM
3rd Gear

If you have to deal with the computer compatibility issues in an Audi, you'll need far more than an BSME or even a BSEE. These are proprietary, closed systems -- for a reason -- VAG does not want people messing with an engineered system that works. I learned more about engines removing, taking apart, rebuilding, and re-installing a 48 Chevrolet I6 and it has stood me in good stead for 30+ years. That and breaking a lot of suspension parts while offroading a Jeep.

There are plenty of safe upgrades you can do with the 1.8T that will challenge you, educate you, and result in a high performance A4 that is driveable and reliable (although reliable and Audi in the same sentence is an oxymoron).

Old 04-13-2012, 09:50 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AudiVerrückt
Thanks, I love cars and math, so it fits pretty well haha
Yeah I hear ya ! I'm in the same major as well, great stuff to learn !