B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

2003 A4 1.8 Quattro Random Electrical Issue: Blinking Clock

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:03 AM
Default 2003 A4 1.8 Quattro Random Electrical Issue: Blinking Clock

My Audi has 94k and over the last 3 years since I bought it, the digital clock will randomly start blinking 30-45 seconds after ignition and remain that way until I drive for at least 20-30 minutes. This will happen for weeks at a time and then not happen for months before occurring again. Just changed the battery and had them check the alternator. Everything was fine but the clock issue remains.

On another note: Right front turn signal bulb keeps going out after 2-3 weeks of replacement. It only costs $2-$3 to change but it's getting tiring to have that bulb go out repeatedly.

Any suggestions or solutions to the electrical issues above?

Thanks

Old 05-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Site Moderator

Well the turn signal probably has a bad socket, next time it goes out bang on the fender, if it magically comes back to life you need to change the socket, not the bulb.

As for the clock, i can only imagine you mean the stop watch function that you set using the button under the right stalk. You can set it to go off at certain times. For instance mine is set for 2 hours, so after 2 hours of driving i will get this display blinking in my LCD display 2:00. Its all in your owners manual.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:22 PM
2nd Gear

i didnt know you could set that timer thing. can you make it longer than 2 hours??

Old 05-29-2009, 06:21 AM

You are probably right....I used to bang the fender and it would work but not anymore. I didn't know you could replace a socket. Where would I order that part from? I know the dealer will mark it up substantially.

And about the clock....I am not talking about the stop watch....I am talking about the bottom left side of the instrument cluster which tells the actual time and date....that keeps blinking no matter how many times it is reset....there must be some kind of short or the bad socket in the right turn signal must be affecting the electrical load maybe and it's showing up in the clock. Maybe this is what killed my battery recently.

Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by auditech79
Well the turn signal probably has a bad socket, next time it goes out bang on the fender, if it magically comes back to life you need to change the socket, not the bulb.

As for the clock, i can only imagine you mean the stop watch function that you set using the button under the right stalk. You can set it to go off at certain times. For instance mine is set for 2 hours, so after 2 hours of driving i will get this display blinking in my LCD display 2:00. Its all in your owners manual.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:22 AM
1st Gear

Does the clock keep the correct time?

Old 05-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Site Moderator

Nah the socket is only like $12 at the dealer, they go out all the time. Its just a plastic socket with some metal pins in there.

As for the clock, you can TRY replacing the turn signal bulb holder first, but the wiring is related. I would say the instrument cluster is bad, or needs to be re-built.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:20 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79

Auditech,

What about using electrical conducting grease to seal things abit.... Does that stuff actually work??