B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

2004 A4 PRNDS gears all back-lit

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:34 AM
1st Gear
Default 2004 A4 PRNDS gears all back-lit

Hi all
So the issue is that the gears selector display on the dashbord started to show all PRNDS gears back-lit. A little troubleshooting and research in the forums turned out that i have to check for errors fist with VagCom and to concentrate in the tiptronic switch electrical plate and the 2 magnets in the rubber cover. Ok, so i pulled the codes and i got:

18161 / P1753 tiptronic switch -F189- Implausible signal
Then i toke apart the gear lever and got to the electric bord and the magnets. All 2 magnets were in place, but to be sure i added some superglue to the cylinder one. By that time the temeparute of the air in the car was about 65-70. So i cleared the error and the display went ok. The gear selector displayed "P" - was parked. So i switch to "R" - display R, move further to N, again proper indication on the display - N, meanwhile pulling for errors with VagCom - none found. Then i switch do "D" and the display indicated D and in a 1/2 second again all PRNDS goes back lit. So i pulled for errors again end the same error. Switching to S or Tip did not help.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:37 AM
1st Gear

...Continue ...

So my next test was while on "P" i cleared the error to see if the gear switching action forced the interuption in the electronics or the HALL sensors/magnets combination ( suspecting that ) but right after i had it cleared the error popped up, and continued testing with clearing and pulling for errors while changing gears, switching to "S" again error generated, switching to TIP error generated, switching to N - no error , then going to "R" - still no error generated. So i concluded that the error saised when i go to "D" or "S" or tip mode(going though "D"). So i left it for the day.
On the next day ( good warm day ) the temperature inside the car was about 90 and above that maybe ( it was a hot day ) i did the test switching the gears from P to R to N to D - ( now i expect the error ) but no there is no error, i continued to S - no error again switching to Tip mode still no error. All is perfect. So i dropped down the windows as you expect to cool down inside and waited to cool down the temperature inside.
So it dropped to reasonably warm so i was able to stay inside without swetting badly and what happened when i tried again the same procedure this time i got the error going to "D" but not when i switched very quickly thgough R-N-D-S almost trying not to delay on D. This time was no error. Then i moved from S to D and voala the error got back. Ok, i said i will cool down inside ( assuming the circuit bord on the gear switch with the hall effect sensors for the gears) and then as i expected now i got errors right when i reached "D" as well beeing on "S" or tip.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:38 AM
1st Gear

... Continue ...

What i've concluded so far is that the error is intermittend and defenetly depends of the temperature of the circuit bord on the tip switch.
Ok good but now i'm stuck. The magnets are fine, glued properly. The only magnet that was out of his place was the cylindric one when i put the glue on it and don't know if i've put it back with the exact side up (assuming that S(outh) and N(orth) pole matters for the sensors, but i believe the sensorts are not pole dependat.
The circuit boad is fine when it works when it is warm enough ( above 80-90 inside the car so the board could warm up). Checked the connector of the circuit board ( a black one ) which is located on the white plastic case - all is ok no rust or any residue.
So i'm kind of stuck and out of ideas what and how to troubleshoot this. The car is not under warranty so i don't want to go the Audi dealership and beeing without the car for a week to get the answer "Amm yeaah, you need to change the transmission and TCU". You all got my point.
Any ideas/resolutions will be appreciated.
I don't want to rush and order a new circuit board on the gear switch/tip, until i get in my mind a reasonable explanation why is that behaviour.

It is a CVT. Here is the log.

Control Module Part Number: 8E0 910 155 F
Component and/or Version: V30 01J 1.8l5VT USA 3220
Software Coding: 0000001
Work Shop Code: WSC 04940

1 Faults Found:

18161 - Tiptronic Switch (F189): Implausible Signal
P1753 - 000 - -

The only things that i didn't change are the magnets. I would assume that they had lost their magnetism capabilities but that will be a recall or somthing and would be a common problem. And i wonder where could i get the same 2 magnets ordered? I am sure its something simple.

And excuse me for the long post but i tried to be more figurative to be able to make more clear picture of the problem.
Thanks again,

Old 06-25-2008, 03:26 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 2004 A4 PRNDS gears all back-lit

Anyone having an idea ?

Old 09-25-2014, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

Hi, did you every figure out the problem? I have the exact same symptoms (PRNDS is fine until I get to D). Here is the error code:
002069 - Upshift Switch Circuit for Tiptronic (F189)
P0815 - 001 - Electrical Malfunction
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100001
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 0 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
(no units): 0.0
(no units): 16.0
Temperature: 32.0°C
T.B. Angle: 0.0°

Old 09-25-2014, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

But my car is A4 2008 2.0T quattro (tiptronic, not CVT)