B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

a4 B6 cabriolet electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 01:54 PM
1st Gear
Default a4 B6 cabriolet electrical problems

I have a 2003 A4 Cabriolet with 70K miles, and my electronics went crazy on me. The door locks, alarm, power windows, interior lights, windshield wipers, trunk release and blinkers all stopped working. When the car is off, the hazard light on the dash flashes very slowly, and the lights on the climate control stays on. The car starts and runs fine and the lights and instrument panel work fine. The light with a triangle, curved arrow and exclamation point is on in the dash. I have searched posts and think it might be the steering control module, but wanted to see if anyone else has any suggestions. It has been raining pretty heavy here lately, and the car was outside- but I don't see any water in the car. My wife said this all happened when she got in the car, the factory alarm went off and now nothing works. The car does have an aftermarket remote start, which she activated at some point unsuccessfully. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:54 AM
1st Gear

Please help, I do not trust the Audi dealer in Sacramento, and am dreading taking it there. I took a chance and ordered a replacement CCM on ebay, but it did not fix the problem. The locks, wipers, alarm and convertible don't work, and the climate control lights stay one constantly and the hazard light switch blinks dim and slowly. I saw in a search someone with a similar problem replaced their steering control module and it fixed the problem, but am hesitant to buy any more parts without a stronger idea of what the problem is.
Any experts out there?

Old 01-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Tech Certified

Sounds like water damage to me.... It can be decieving unless you know where to look. Call your insurance company and take it to the dealer. No one else is going to be able to get it working the way its supposed to

Old 01-05-2011, 11:36 AM
4th Gear

yea definalty water damage. Auditek is there such thing as a body control module. i had to have one of those replaced in my car when my lights started to go haywire. I dont know if thats the right name for it or not but i dont think that module is related tot he central convience module is it or are they both the same>? Its located under the steering wheel and has 3 or 4 large relays attached to it.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:06 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys. Maybe I should start keeping those silica bags that absorb moisture in my car . pa4ul, I think what you're describing is the steering wheel control module, and I read another post where a guy had similar problems that were fixed by that module. How much did repair cost you?

Old 01-05-2011, 05:26 PM
4th Gear

well i got the part off a guy on audizine for like 100 bucks. And my tech charged me 40 to install and reprogram. But if u go to the stealership your looking at an easy 500. But i not sure about it being the steering wheel control module. I think i still have the old one lying around somewhere. If u want a pic.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:22 AM
1st Gear

Update, I unplugged my smarttop convertible top controller and everything (but the top) started working again. I reconnected the smarttop and same thing. I might have damaged the convertible top controller (I don't know how). Thanks for the replies.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:08 PM
1st Gear

Hi,I know this is an old post but I have exactly the same problem as you had. When I unplugged my smart top the electrical problems stopped and started again when I plugged it in. When I have disconnected it I am now having problems with the hood. How did you solve your problem and did you also have any problems with the hood when the smart top was disconnected? Thanks in advance Den

Old 10-04-2012, 02:53 PM
1st Gear

I don't remember having any problems with the hood. It did end up being water damage to the smarttop controller, I sent it mods4cars in Vegas and they fixed it for $100. The back window separated from the top (I didnt notice it at first) and the water ran into the controller. I have since put it in a ziplock baggie and tightened it with zipties.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:55 PM
1st Gear
Default SmartTop Controller Location

I just purchased a car with the same problem. The car sat over winter and had the battery die. The battery was replaced and the wipers, cruise control, turn signals, horn, high beams, and windows do not work. Also the radio will stay on until manuall turned off.

The person I purchased it from did jump it, I was thinking they blew some fuses but ready that it could be the CCM or BCM.

Since those treads mentioned the same problems but no one commented that it fixed it like this smarttop controller, I figured I would start here. Plus if I can get the windows up by simpily unplugging the controller for a second, that would give me extra time to diagnose it and the ability to get it out of the gargage.

Where is this SmartTop control module located and how do you get to it?

I have a 2003 A4 Convertible.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: a4 B6 cabriolet electrical problems