B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Any alternator how-to's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 02:13 PM
1st Gear
Default Any alternator how-to's?

05 USP, Alternator is going out, failed advance auto test, losing functions one by one driving home and finally wouldn't even crank. Battery is almost new.

Does anyone have a how-to guide on removing it? It's a 3.0 V6. I admit I haven't seriously looked at it, was hoping someone had some tips or tricks before I just start cursing. Thanks

Old 03-29-2014, 04:44 PM
1st Gear

No one?

Has anyone been able to change the alt and tensionor without putting the car into service mode? Thinking I'd throw on the ECS light weight crank and PS pulley + a bunch of other stuff if I do that.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:44 AM
1st Gear

Such help. Much posts, wow.

Ok, so for anyone who searches this if how you do it. Find the timing belt service guide which will let you get the car into "service mode" A "tite-reach" tool is the best 25 dollar investment you can make and you'll thank me with your first born child. I also removed the headlights just to get a better idea of what to do.

- Jack up car and remove front wheels
- Remove all engine plastics
- Battery disconnected
- Service mode (Plan 1 hour or more first time)
- After in service mode push down on tensioner (19mm) to lock in place. Small hole on metal arm going down center. I used a small allen key.
- Remove belt
- remove 3 bolts holding tensioner. do the top one first then bottom 2. Bottom are 6mm allen top is I believe 8 or 9
Disconnect alternator wiring harness and ground strap (13mm)
- Remove 2, yes only 2 bolts holding it in place. Again they are allen keys.

Mine was frozen in place and spent a good 10 mins looking for another bolt. Take a hammer and LIGHTLY begin tapping it until you can see it moving. It WILL fall directly on your face if not careful.

Was lucky enough to have an old mans electrical shop near me and had the alternator rebuilt, sanded smooth and painted flat black for 125.00 . It's a 2-3 day turn around so if this is your only car INFY
"Arties Auto Electric" if your in the NOVA area.
Heard issue with parts store rebuilds or aftermarket so this was a better choice + much cheaper.

While its all apart make a list of everything you think you need or may want. I opt'ed for a new tensioner from ECS (Strongly recommended) an ECS lightweight crank pulley, ECS lightweight power steering pulley, degreased the front of engine, and new serp belt.

For power steering pulley loosen the 3 belts before belt is removed
Crank pulley is 7 or 8 short thread 6mm allen bolts. Mirror on a stick is your friend. Tap lightly with hammer then wiggle off. Place anti-seize on back to ensure trouble free future removal.

Back together.
- Tensioner first while still locked. bottom 2 bolts then top.
- Alternator and connection, believe its 15ftlbs
- reinstall serp belt over everything except power steering pump
- Push back down on tensioner and slip belt over PS pulley. Just easier IMO
- TEST TEST TEST

While still in service mode go ahead and start the engine with all mechanical aspects back together. Check for voltage, noises, balance, general noises or issues.

If your satisfied everything is together then reverse service mode from guide. The 3 green bolts to lock it back in normal mode, any front clip bolts (if removed headlights and more)
- Bumper
- Headlights
- 6 bumper bolts inside fender well
- 800 billion plastic retainer screws
- Front air dam
- Wheels
- Bandaids for the cuts on your hands
- Go drive.