B6 Models Please discuss all 2002 - 2005 B6 A4 topics here...

Blown B6 1.8t Tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 12:40 AM
1st Gear
Default Blown B6 1.8t Tiptronic

Okay, so here's the scoop. Right now, sitting in my driveway is one sad 2002 Audi A4 B6 Ultrasport 1.8t Tiptronic. The problem I seem to have is figuring out which way to go about fixing it. Surely, I could rebuild the motor. The part that gets me is that I'm looking for more out of it. If I'm going to take the time to rip the engine out of it and really do engine work I might just as well make as much power as I can. I'm really looking to go between 400-500 hp. I would consider boring/stroking, along with a big turbo. Or there is also a possibility of a motor/tranny swap. If anyone could help me out with Kit Names, Pricing, where to find, etc. It would be much appreciated. As far as the motor swap goes, I would be considering a 2.7t from the previous B5 S4 models and a 6spd trans from the b6 3.0 model since the bell house mounts are the same. Any pricing/advice on either scenario would be great. Please leave your input!

Old 09-09-2013, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

If you want to just modify the 1.8, look into KKK or Garrett Turbos. They are much cheaper than an APR Stage III+ kit and they develop more power. I have researched the topic a bit and found the Garrett GT28RS and Garrett GTRS turbos as suitable choices, but these might be outdated by now since I looked this up a few years ago. Just remember that if you don't get complete kits, you might have to get different supporting mods like FMIC, Cast head, upgraded lines, etc. This is expensive, but it can pay off very well!

Sorry that this isn't necessarily help, but if you do the swap, please please please do a writeup of how you went about doing it/costs/time!!!! I've considered doing this to my 2005 Tiptronic 1.8t for quite a while, but with the 4.2 V8 in the B6 S4 with the 6spd instead. My worry was that since I'm a novice with mechanical and electrical work, it wouldn't be best to do the swap (motor or manual tranny) without somebody giving me step by step information.

Good luck, and I hope it goes well!!!!